Common faults, etc to look out for when buying 08 b7 2.0tdi 170 special edition

seven7ten

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Moving up from a b6 , so quite excited.

Any advice on what to look out for? Am I right in thinking the injectors can fail on these, but it's fairly easy to get Audi to cover the bill?

Also the oil pump chain fault that I have read about , is this likely to be an issue on this 08 plate engine?

Any other advise ,.potentially going to buy it in next few days.

Thanks,

As I understand it, 08 plate would be B8. Maybe someone else can advise on that?

As for injectors, yes it should be covered by a recall if the car in question has one. Suggest before you buy, call two or three dealers to ask if there is a recall on the car or if it's already been done. That's what I did before buying mine.

Oil pump is a well known issue, best to just set aside £500 to £600 to have it modified then peace of mind can be had.

Regards
Steve

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I think it is one of the last b7's, may be wrong tho. Thanks for info about oil pump, would look to get it modified for piece of mind.

Anything else worth looking out for?

Cheers

I'm sure some one else may have some points to look out for but that's pretty much it from my experience of owning a 170tdi. The other stuff I've encountered is in my opinion normal wear and tear for a car of 8 or 9 years old. Despite all the bad press I think the b7's are a solid and reliable car. If you read too much on the forums then it'll scare you off!

Reactions: seven7ten
Suppose one thing to look out for if you're lucky enough to get your hands on a vcds scanner would be the state of the DPF. Purely from a replacement cost side of things as they're around £1300 from stealers! Though Dpf delete could be done for far less :tongueclosed:

Reactions: seven7ten