common engine mount problem???

lewis88

Reaction score
i just heard a funny noise under hard cornering left in my car, upon closer inspection it turns out whoever done the cam belt change (before my ownership) must have cross threaded the engine mount bracket and filled the threads of the bracket with thread lock to try and hold it. luckily enough it hasn't completely gone just yet but a quick google search has reviled that its quite common on the golfs. has anyone experienced this with an a3? dealers quoted me £120 for the part:( is it a hard job to remove as well?

Which bracket do you mean? if its cambelt side and the one bolted to the engine block then sadly yes, its a fairly involved job tbh....

If you are paying someone to do it I would also consider getting the cambelt/tensioners/waterpump done at the same time as its a similar amount of effort to do and that part needs to be removed to do it..

Alternatively you could look to get it helicoiled assuming there is enough material left to do this (not got one in front of me so can't say for sure...

<tuffty/>

yes its the mount bolted to both the crank case and the engine mount:(. I will probably be fitting the part myself, I am going to try and get it helicoiled but im not sure if it will hold. I will check to see if it can be helicoiled but i doubt it, its also full of threadlock so don't really know how to get all of that out, maybe it may be cheaper get it drilled and tapped and use over sized bolts???

thanks dave, are those carbon fibre mirrors on your car? oh did you remove the part or drill and tap in situ?

Here is 3 engine mounts i have found for you. let me know if you need an O.E part number.

enginemounts.jpg

Here is 3 engine mounts i have found for you. let me know if you need an O.E part number.

enginemounts.jpg

Its not the actual mount thats the prob here from what I understand... its the block of ali that the engine mount attaches too...

In the pic below where the torque wrench is undoing the bolt... bolts to the block and the engine mount bolts to that and the chassis... From what I understand its this block that Lewis is having the problem with...
20090905_IMG00064-20090905-1246.jpg

I had to clear out the threads of the gearbox side mount today before refitting it after changing the clutch... very common...

<tuffty/>

ah yes, getting these brackets out and away from the car is the ******** part of doing a cambelt on these. id advise trying to helicoil it while still one the engine if possible.

where are you in the world? i need more fiddle jobs?

spot on! worked a treat and was really easy! took less time and money than buying a replacement part! this forums brilliant, thanks for all the input guys