1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming to a Smooth Stop With S Tronic

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by Stephen C, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Stephen C

Stephen C Active Member

[Feb 2, 2014]
    When testing S Tronic A3s, I haven't been able to stop smoothly. In my current DSG 7-speed car, I like to apply the brake and then gradually let go as the car slows to the point that the car feels like it's out of gear and can come to a rolling stop and not creep.

The S Tronic has felt very willing to either creep forward or stop firmly, not giving me that neutral feel that would allow me to gently roll to a stop as I do in my current car.

If anyone understands what I'm describing, do you know if it's just a case of practicing using the brake pedal with S Tronic, or will it always come to a firm stop?
  2. andywil13

andywil13 Active Member

[Feb 2, 2014]
    I haven't found braking any different to driving a manual. Starting off though I am finding has a bit of a knack. I think when at a complete stop, the car comes out of gear, so you need to come off the brake earlier to allow it to engage gear and start to creep.
  3. Buneet

Buneet Active Member

[Feb 2, 2014]
    I feel that too, a tiny bit of jerking when coming to the final stop, in my mum car (also automatic) it just smoothly rolls to a stop.
  4. Dylock

Dylock Active Member

[Feb 2, 2014]
    I do find my s3 is like that. Not a major problem and have got used to it. Has hill hold assist got anything to do with the two differences here?
  5. Stephen C

Stephen C Active Member

[Feb 2, 2014]
    I'm speccing Hold Assist in hope that it does make a difference. One of the dealers told me it prevents creeping when switched on. It's a real shame as I love this car, but I used to love coming to a smooth stop as if I were driving a manual in my old DSG. It's the same gearbox mechanically, so it must just be differences in programming.
  6. snakehips

snakehips Well-Known Member

[Feb 2, 2014]
    I have 6-speed S-tronic and no hold assist and have never noticed this. Is there a unique combination that causes this?
  7. JohnnyM100

JohnnyM100 Well-Known Member

[Feb 3, 2014]
    I has this when I first got the car but adapted my cadence braking style over time and it's barely noticeable now. The trick was to release pressure in a couple of stages, the penultimate being when the car was travelling slightly slower than creep speed. This last part prevents the gearbox thinking it needs to re-engage at the last moment as if you had just popped the clutch (manual equivalent).

If I understand your manual analogy then autos will probably never be quite as smooth as that, since you are basically freewheeling the last 1-2 feet with the clutch pedal down until the car comes to stop and then holding with the brake.

John.
  8. andywil13

andywil13 Active Member

[Feb 3, 2014]
    I think you might be right. I dont have hill hold, and i havent noticed any differences to normal braking
  9. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member

[Feb 3, 2014]
    Everyone has hill hold - it's standard kit
  10. andywil13

andywil13 Active Member

[Feb 3, 2014]
    i think its a £90 optional extra. I certainly dont have the button next to the hand brake button
  11. snakehips

snakehips Well-Known Member

[Feb 3, 2014]
    No, that's just cemerson being pernickety (but correct). We all have hill hold, it's hold assist that is the £90 option.
  12. ACWKGYTO

ACWKGYTO Active Member

[Feb 3, 2014]
    I was thinking about this the other day

When I brake less hard it doesnt happen, and when I drive around in S mode its more accentuated, but I like that

Had quite a few autos over time, aswell as manuals, and the autos all creep forward from stationary unless youre going up a hill if you take your photo off the brake when in drive. I sometimes if on the flat, and cant be arsed to keep my foot on the brake, put the car in neutral, I think the handbook says not to do this, but why have a neutral then...I do look out for people behind me who might shunt me into the middle of a junction !
  13. JohnnyM100

JohnnyM100 Well-Known Member

[Feb 3, 2014]
    I tried various settings on the way home tonight to see what you were experiencing.

It didn't matter whether the gearbox was in normal or Sport mode but I could still come to a smooth gentle halt. I have Hold Assist and also tried switching that off. Still could stop smoothly. Made it a fun journey home though!

To answer your question in the quote above: Hold Assist will stop the car creeping forward. Without it you have to either hold on the footbrake, use handbrake or shift to N or P. It did seem slightly easier to stop smoothly with Hold Assist, but that may be just because I use it almost all the time.

John.
  14. Stephen C

Stephen C Active Member

[Feb 3, 2014]
    Thanks, John. That's really helpful. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it once I drive the car long enough!
  15. ACWKGYTO

ACWKGYTO Active Member

[Feb 3, 2014]
    Sounds like you will get the hang of it...practice makes perfect...just watch the left foot braking ! :wacko: