Coming /leaving home lights........changing from headlights to fogs possible?

Nessy

VW + Audi mad
Reaction score
I've just bit the bullet and ordered a proper Ross Tech cable as I have a fair bit to do on my car....
Is it possible to change the coming/leaving home lights from headlights to the front fogs using VCDS?
Thanks!

I've just bit the bullet and ordered a proper Ross Tech cable as I have a fair bit to do on my car....
Is it possible to change the coming/leaving home lights from headlights to the front fogs using VCDS?
Thanks!

What car/model is it?

On my b6 S4 cab the coming home lights are the fogs, not the headlights. Do think it has been changed by anyone, or if it can be changed, but is fogs for me.

Oops, should have said!
It's my '06 A3, the factory standard coming/leaving home lights are the headlights and I don't like it at all...
My mum has a C-class and on hers the fog lights serve the same function and it looks a lot better....

A quick Google I came across this...

Coming Home

• Several Bits may control CH options such as Manual or Automatic.
    • Note:If the vehicle is not equipped with an "Auto" headlight switch and a (RLS) light sensor, coming home activation will likely require you to pull the high beam stalk back briefly after shutting the vehicle off and before exiting. The description should be found in your owner's manual.
Leaving Home

• Leaving home will require the "Auto" switch and a (RLS) light sensor. The description should be found in your owners manual.

Coming Home/Leaving Home via Fog-Lights and Parking lights

• Found in Coding, the Adaptation values for the duration of time are not affected.

Found from here - http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Audi_A3/S3_&_A3_Cabriolet_(8P/FM)_Tweaks

So I'm not sure if it is possible. It might be in the long coding helper. It might be in am adaption channel.

As you're getting genuine, I'd register on the RT forums and ask them directly, if there are no more responses here.

Thanks!
As I've got Auto lights I'm hoping that once the cable arrives it'll be a case of having a look in the current settings and seeing if the drop-down menus offer a chance to change to fogs....

Yeah that would atleast be the first place I look. The long coding helper may even have the option there.

On my friends 8p (sport, no options at all) there were loads of options in the long coder. None worked for his non equipped car though lol.

Thanks again, I've used a copy cable and VCDS Lite until now (and Carista very recently which is fine ) so am really looking forward to having a play around with the real thing!

No problem. If you have a lite licence then you can sign up for support now. You could ask RT directly for this question. I did when I had lite (since gone full genuine). The full version is so much better than the lite with all automation, easy code clearing and the long coding helper. Also can-bus is detected which isn't in the lite (k-line) cables.

I've had a good play with the cable as it arrived this morning but there doesn't appear to be the provision in the long coding helper to change coming home lights to fogs, at least not in the convenience module in my car...
Have come across another issue though, I did a general fault scan and under "radio" it has come up with "incorrect module coding"?
Now I recently changed the Concert single-disc CD player to a Symphony II with the inbuilt 6-disc magazine and it works perfectly?
Should I have coded this new stereo in though?
My car has Bose but I haven't seen any reference to this in the long coding helper either?
Thanks!

I've had a good play with the cable as it arrived this morning but there doesn't appear to be the provision in the long coding helper to change coming home lights to fogs, at least not in the convenience module in my car...
Have come across another issue though, I did a general fault scan and under "radio" it has come up with "incorrect module coding"?
Now I recently changed the Concert single-disc CD player to a Symphony II with the inbuilt 6-disc magazine and it works perfectly?
Should I have coded this new stereo in though?
My car has Bose but I haven't seen any reference to this in the long coding helper either?
Thanks!

Can you upload the full scan (remove vin if wanted) just so I can look at it? In [code ] tags if possible to keep it clean. I'll have a look.

It should be coded just to tell the car that it has 6 disc changer etc. Should be an easy fix, not really needed but nice to be clean and fault free

Can you upload the full scan (remove vin if wanted) just so I can look at it? In [code ] tags if possible to keep it clean. I'll have a look.

It should be coded just to tell the car that it has 6 disc changer etc. Should be an easy fix, not really needed but nice to be clean and fault free
Thanks, I didn't save the scan but I'll do it again this weekend and post the results, I've got to fit an OEM Bluetooth set-up over the next few days so my VCDS cable is going to get quite a bit of use...

As an update , I ended up quickly taking taking the new stereo out, put the old one back in and read the coding on it.
I then re-coded the new stereo with the old stereo code (just making the Bluetooth correction ) and everything is now fine, no more error codes when scanning.
I've done a lot of searching of the various modules using my VCDS cable but still can't find any option to change the the CH/LH lights to fogs.....

Reactions: mattmanwrx and xpoweruk
As an update , I ended up quickly taking taking the new stereo out, put the old one back in and read the coding on it.
I then re-coded the new stereo with the old stereo code (just making the Bluetooth correction ) and everything is now fine, no more error codes when scanning.
I've done a lot of searching of the various modules using my VCDS cable but still can't find any option to change the the CH/LH lights to fogs.....

Did you get original cable? And is the license in your name? If so, then I'd join the Ross tech official forums and ask them. They'll tell you straight away if it is possible.

Yes, its a Genuine Ross Tech cable but I haven't registered yet with them!
Looks like I've found the answer though, for models up to MY2009/10 the CH/LH lights used the headlights.
After that the fogs were used, but a different convenience module was fitted.
So, for earlier models we'll just have to put up with the headlights.....

Ah ok, well at least there is an answer.

So I guess next question is;
Can you retro fit the newer module? :grinning:

It's a very involved job apparently!
Am going to stick to the factory spec (sadly )!!
The only good news is yesterday I managed to find a comfort closing option in VCDS which wasn't active and I'd never heard of...
I already had sunroof and window closing from the remote but this required keeping the button held down on the remote for as long as it took to close everything...
With the comfort closing enabled the lock button on the remote is pressed until the windows etc start to move then the button can be released, the windows and roof carrying on, basically it's a total closure set-up.
It's brilliant, I no longer bother to close the windows/sunroof now whenever I park the car, a quick press on the remote when I get out and it's all sorted....
This VCDS cable makes me wish I'd bought one years ago!

Reactions: mattmanwrx