Coming home lights.....confused!

Chris Norman

Reaction score
Ok so I just got my a4 avant b7 special edition 2006. It has a coming home switch next to the level adjuster but on the main light switch there is no auto setting? No matter if the coming home lights are set to on or off I can't seem to get the lights to come on in the dark...

Am I missing something?

Ok so I just got my a4 avant b7 special edition 2006. It has a coming home switch next to the level adjuster but on the main light switch there is no auto setting? No matter if the coming home lights are set to on or off I can't seem to get the lights to come on in the dark...

Am I missing something?

check the rear mirror,the mirror in the middle in the car not the outside ones, if there is a hole in there if it has the hole it has the sensor, so the light should switch automatically when they are set to on. try using tape on it so it thinks its dark and se if it works.

Cheers guys, will have a butchers for the hole on my way to work. Just confused as most coming home lights I have seen also have auto lights but mines dont have it?

You think the previous owner tried to retro fit them.....

Does the on/off part of the coming home lights switch light up (read my other thread for reason I ask) . Auto lights pack and coming home lights are separate extras, someone may have attempted a retro fit, do the fog lights work as this is what's used for coming home lights, have you checked all fuses.

I'm part way through retrofitting the auto lights and ch lights

I replaced and wired up the combined headlight level switch / coming home switch and now my lights come on when I lock and unlock the car. I'm just needing to get the windscreen replaced to fit the mirror and light sensor. So as stated above the 2 systems work separately but as I understand it for it to work correctly the light sensor has to be installed to tell the car when it's dark so the coming home lights don't work during the day

I'd check the windscreen to see if there's a light sensor there. If not it might have been someone who retro fitted the coming home lights

RMH1A4Cab

Did you eventually get yours sorted ?

Did you go the full way and get the windscreen replaced So you could fit the sensor and mirror ? Or just install the coming home lights

If you did the full install

Did you have any problems or tips getting the windscreen replaced because that's the next step I've got to do to complete my install?

Cheers

RMH1A4Cab

Did you eventually get yours sorted ?

Did you go the full way and get the windscreen replaced So you could fit the sensor and mirror ? Or just install the coming home lights

If you did the full install

Did you have any problems or tips getting the windscreen replaced because that's the next step I've got to do to complete my install?

Cheers

Hi, still not had time to complete this, I've found out I have high line unit fitted, so I only need to fit the new switch which I've already done, only need to fit a repair wire which again I've bought but yet to fit, it will work all the time as I don't have the sensor in the windscreen but I can't be bothered with the hassle of changing it.

Right still confused as it looks like i have a light sensor on the dashboard at the windscreen air vents. I dosen't look like the light switch has been retro fitted as i would have thought it would have the auto light setting?

Im not trying to retrofit the coming home light, it looks like the car has them but they are not working?

----- Scrap that i now see that's a temp sensor of come sorts.

Last edited:
Chris we know your not trying to fit this, basically your car is currently it the same state as mine

No auto switch

Coming home lights switch.

I asked before does the coming home lights switch (not the headliglight) light up, this will prove if it has power, and do the fog lights work.

A picture of the sensor you have found would help.

I think Chris is referring to the sunlight sensor for the climate control, that's in the location he mentioned.

Yeah Dave that's the one.

The coming home light switch light up on the 0 position but not the 1. When switch to 1 the fogs still don't come on..... Would it have come out the factory like this? Poss window replacement and the sensors not fitter again? It's a SLine Special Edition?

If it's not lighting up then in position l then there is no power to it it should light up in both on and off position. Read the link I posted above mine is currently the same I need to add a repair wire to get power to the on position of the switch, I think someone has tried to retro fit this then given up.

Do the fog lights work anyway by pulling out the headlights switch.

If it's not lighting up then in position l then there is no power to it it should light up in both on and off position. Read the link I posted above mine is currently the same I need to add a repair wire to get power to the on position of the switch, I think someone has tried to retro fit this then given up.

Do the fog lights work anyway by pulling out the headlights switch.

Fog lights working ok on there own. Think you might about the previous owner giving up, looks like the only thing he has tried to do as everything else is standard. Might try find the vcds settings and see if that was what he missed?

Fog lights working ok on there own. Think you might about the previous owner giving up, looks like the only thing he has tried to do as everything else is standard. Might try find the vcds settings and see if that was what he missed?

It won't be in vcds, you have you find out if you have high line or low line fitted (pull out headlights switch and unplug it if headlights come on then you have high line) Doesn't really matter which you have its a wiring adaption that's needed but if you have high line its easier from what I've read on audizine.
:)

It won't be in vcds, you have you find out if you have high line or low line fitted (pull out headlights switch and unplug it if headlights come on then you have high line) Doesn't really matter which you have its a wiring adaption that's needed but if you have high line its easier from what I've read on audizine.
:)
IMAG0380

Thats what my switch looks like. None of the numbers light up..... Got an easy guid to remove the light switch to unplug?

View attachment 6621

Thats what my switch looks like. None of the numbers light up..... Got an easy guid to remove the light switch to unplug?

To remove the light switch

Push the rotating knob of the main light switch in

While still pushing the main knob in twist it to the right and then pull the switch out

On mine the wiring is tight so I have to remove the lover drivers trim piece which is held in place by 3 8mm bolts

To remove this first remove the side dash cover which covers the fuses

Next there is 1 x 8mm bolt holding the front panel in undo that

There are a further 2 more bolts underneath in the drivers footwell indoor these

Give the trim piece a gentle tug

Finally unclip the diagnostic port to remove the trim piece fully

You can now get behing the light switch and it's connector

Have you got vcds ? Its just as quick to see what module type you have got

I'm currently retrofitting this to my cab and im in Glasgow so drop me a pm I'd you have any questions

Gaz have you got a wiring diagram for this, I really should pull my finger out and get this done.

To remove the light switch

Push the rotating knob of the main light switch in

While still pushing the main knob in twist it to the right and then pull the switch out

On mine the wiring is tight so I have to remove the lover drivers trim piece which is held in place by 3 8mm bolts

To remove this first remove the side dash cover which covers the fuses

Next there is 1 x 8mm bolt holding the front panel in undo that

There are a further 2 more bolts underneath in the drivers footwell indoor these

Give the trim piece a gentle tug

Finally unclip the diagnostic port to remove the trim piece fully

You can now get behing the light switch and it's connector

Have you got vcds ? Its just as quick to see what module type you have got

I'm currently retrofitting this to my cab and im in Glasgow so drop me a pm I'd you have any questions

I have vag com yes, where shall i look to tell me, im sure i read on here somewhere but cant find it. If you have any luck getting it working pointers would be great. Just a bit miffed someone started a job and didnt finish it.

if you aint got the sensor on the rearview mirror it wont work
thats the easy way to check
or take a pic ov the sticker in the boot and on 1st page of service book the codes will tell us if it was fitted at factory.

Gaz have you got a wiring diagram for this, I really should pull my finger out and get this done.

Hi RMH1A4Cab

I have got the diagram I'll put it up tomorrow

As u know already it's 2 wires terminals 4 and 7

I made a loom to connect the terminals but when I got round to connecting it up I found that one of the connections was already used on the control module I found out this went to the light switch itself so I soldered the connecton onto that which then ment I just had to run one cable to the module.

Wiring went like this
Terminal 4 of the ch/lh switch GOES TO the light switch terminal 1 a black and blue cable this in turn goes to the module

Terminal 7 of the ch/lh switch GOES TO pin 24 on the grey 32 pin connector on the module

I then used vcds to tell the module that the light/ rain sensor was installed and then it works

At the moment mine works all the time with no problems but I'm installing the light sensor to so that will eventually stop them working during the day

It's really simple I started out wanting this option and thought i had to retrofit the whole lot for it to work. If I had of realised I didn't need the sensor and everything else I wouldn't of bothered but since I've started I might aswell Finnish

I'll load the drawing i used for a b7 cab Tomorrow

Hi RMH1A4Cab

I have got the diagram I'll put it up tomorrow

As u know already it's 2 wires terminals 4 and 7

I made a loom to connect the terminals but when I got round to connecting it up I found that one of the connections was already used on the control module I found out this went to the light switch itself so I soldered the connecton onto that which then ment I just had to run one cable to the module.

Wiring went like this
Terminal 4 of the ch/lh switch GOES TO the light switch terminal 1 a black and blue cable this in turn goes to the module

Terminal 7 of the ch/lh switch GOES TO pin 24 on the grey 32 pin connector on the module

I then used vcds to tell the module that the light/ rain sensor was installed and then it works

At the moment mine works all the time with no problems but I'm installing the light sensor to so that will eventually stop them working during the day

It's really simple I started out wanting this option and thought i had to retrofit the whole lot for it to work. If I had of realised I didn't need the sensor and everything else I wouldn't of bothered but since I've started I might aswell Finnish

I'll load the drawing i used for a b7 cab Tomorrow

Spot on mate that's just what I'm looking for. Thanks :)

I have vag com yes, where shall i look to tell me, im sure i read on here somewhere but cant find it. If you have any luck getting it working pointers would be great. Just a bit miffed someone started a job and didnt finish it.

If you run a scan of the module it should tell you what it's part number is
For example mines
8E0 907 279 N
The letter at the end is the type N is a high line there's a list on here somewhere stating which letters are which

Otherwise just do the unplugging thing as stated in an earlier post

If you do have a high line module fitted

I can not guarantee that this will work with your avant without the light sensor. as far as I know you don't need it for the coming home function to work but I have only ever retrofitted it to my B7 cab which it doesn't have the light sensor at the moment and it works fine

Yeh drop me a PM I am busy with work over the next few weeks but I'll help out where I can

Hi RMH1A4cab

This is the drawing I used, its for my 2008 B7 A4 cab

Untitled2 Untitled

As you can see from the diagrams the wiring is like so

E491 is the Ch/Lh switch and E1 is the main light switch

0.35mm cable is used and
Pin 7 of the Ch switch goes directly to pin 24 of the grey 32 pin connector (T32b) on the central electric's module

Pin 4 of the Ch switch does go to pin 20 of the grey 32 pin connector (T32b), but as you can see that this is linked to the main light switch I found that pin 20 of the grey connector was already used so rather than running another cable I soldered the end of pin 4 cable to pin 1 on the main light switch

Then I just coded by telling the module that the rain/light sensor is installed

Hope this is clear any more info let me know​

Last edited:
Thanks Gaz just what I'm after your description makes it very clear. :thumbup:

Had a quick look today, I've already bought the 2 repair wire, looks tight in there and I've not got small hands, how does the grey control module connection come off.

Thanks

I know it is tight in there but the grey connector comes out quite easily. If you look at the rectangular grey connector you should see a small orange leaver. Use your finger or screwdriver and lift the tab. If you put the screw driver between the grey connector and orange tab. The tab should flick back on itself and to the other side the connector should be free.

Then at the side of the grey connector you should see a purple tab the slides off then the white or black connector can slide out of the grey cover. You can then slide in the new pin.

To replace do everything in reverse

Pushing the grey connector in can be a bit fiddily but lift the orange tab to the open position then push the grey connector into the control moduleand at the same time flip the orange connector over. This locks the grey connector in

This is a similar connector just so you can see what I'm on about. The purple lever is the orange one I'm refuring to

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347735804197875

Thanks to robina3 ive borrowed his photo from his puddle light retrofit

Also just make sure you clip the connector in properly. When I did mine I didnt and when I put the cat back together. None of my lights worked so I thought I'd broken the module but it turns out I hadn't seated the connector correctly :)

Spot on as ever thanks, I'll have ago tomorrow if the weather is okay, if pin 20 on the grey connector is being used as yours was the I'm stuffed as I don't have a soldering iron, plus I wouldn't risk it as electrics are not my strongest point.

Thanks again

Had another look today and I just can't get in, don't want to force anything and it end up costing a fortune, so I need an auto electrician.... Don't suppose you ever travel south :)

Well as it happens I do lol I'm originally from Staffordshire. I moved to Glasgow for work. I still have family down there. I am more than happy to come and help next time I'm down.

What exactly is stuck ? The connector?

Perfect I live in Staffordshire but ill travel to you so let me know when you're down this way next :), it's that every thing is so small i fear ill break something, not really into electronics I'm more of a spanner and socket person :).

Gaz, should it get some more wire just in case, I have two of audi's repair wires.

Well you should only need 4 pin connections so as long as you have the correct ones for the terminals you should be fine. You will need about a meter of cable to go from the switch to the central module but I've got a roll of it so ill have that anyway :)

Thanks, I'll have a look at the one I got from audi, I'm sure they are correct i think I got the part number for the off another coming home lights thread. I'll let you know. :thumbup: