Comfort indicators fitted - one touch 3 blinks

jitvv

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wanted to post a how to wire the Comfort indicators (one touch and it flashes indicators 3 times) ideal for lane changing on the motorway, I loved these on my Mk5 GTI and wanted them for the S3 for ages finally found the info for wiring into a 8L. I completed this on Saturday it works a treat! :)

The part is available from VW p art No 000-953-227A (£40 including VAT) comes as a kit with additional relay and wiring, the wires need to be connected to the hazard switch relay :

1) First remove radio (standard keys work as good as anything);

2) No need to remove radio just drop it down onto the gear lever area but makesure you cover it first with a clean rag so not to scratch anything;

3) Place fingers beneath the Piano Black trim. The trim itself, although looksrather fragile, is backed onto a metal surround. Pull firmly toward you and inslightly upwards motion. It should detach - there are approx 2-3 clips thatwill detach;

4) Remove the cup holder by using a bladed screwdriver to press up the clipsabove it (it will make sense when you see it). Pull it directly out towardsyou;

5) Remove the ESP switch but leave it connected - no need to unplug it from its connector just let it dangle carefully;

6) Now you will be able to get your fingers down either side of the hazardswitch. Position them on the base of the switch (feel for it) and give it avery firm pull toward you i.e. toward the back of the car. The switch is springloaded and will take a little force;

Once the switch is out you need to connect/splice the following wires accordingly,I soldered mine together then taped up with electrical tape (Show you'll have 3 connected on these connections)

Relay pin numbers / Wires

2 - (white wire on VW kit) connects to pin 5 on the S3 hazard switch(black/White)
4 - (brown wire on VW kit) connects to pin 9 on S3 hazard switch (brown)
5 - (green wire on VW kit) connects to pin 7 on S3 hazard switch (black/green)
6 - (black/White on VW kit) connects to pin 2 on the S3 hazard switch(black/White)
8 - (White/green on VW kit) connects to pin 3 on the S3 hazard switch(black/White/green)

This is intended as a guide only therefore I accept no responsibility.

Sorry no pics, any questions give me a shout :)

Cheers

Jit

Reactions: MPH, @udi A3 and morgan306
Hi,

The part number you supplied is just the relay, did you buy 000 998 229 or 000 998 229 A? (The A terminates to a block, the other is just cable tails)

Think 000 998 229 would be easier to install, assuming thats what you used?

Non A Version Image
A Version Image

Dave

Hi,

The part number you supplied is just the relay, did you buy 000 998 229 or 000 998 229 A? (The A terminates to a block, the other is just cable tails)

Think 000 998 229 would be easier to install, assuming thats what you used?

Non A Version Image
A Version Image

Dave

Hi Dave,

Just checked the invoice I did get a000 998 229 A, typoo on my part sorry!, but seeing that you can get it without the Block connector 000 998 229 your better off getting that as i just chopped the VW connector off anyway.

Cheers

Jit

Reactions: dusty
Hi,

Cheers buddy as I thought, just making sure.

I'll take some photo's etc when I install it - looks like the difficult part is getting to it, rather than the wiring itself.

Dave

C28A4DAD-830F-469C-A1DE-6B65A0CD38D5-4293-000003E60F95DF9F_zps32867775.jpg

Been missing this since i bought the S3 so guess what I might be doing soon.

Thanks for the info.

Reactions: Eddie S3
I've done this on my A6 C5, was supposed to be plug and play, but connectors were different. soldered in properly works a treat! Well worth it.

Been looking to do this so will be following your guide soon 👍

Reactions: jitvv
What would you recommend as an alternative? Solder and tape?

Yes, or crimp connectors as required but if permanent splicing is required always solder/tape... scotch locks are the devils own device... they either barely make a connection to the wire as they are too big for the wire or they cut through half the thickness of the wire reducing its current carrying capacity and reducing its physical integrity... seen far too many wiring issues revolving around these things....

They were sh*te years ago when I first got into cars (nearly 30yrs ago) and they are no better now... hate them as much as split-r's :)

<tuffty/>

Solder and heatshrink FTW. I got some heatshrink recently with adhesive built into it for extra awesomeness.

Dam it they don't post to Ireland. Typical. Would anyone be willing to order one on my behalf and post it to Dublin. I will paypal the money to you.

Dam it they don't post to Ireland. Typical. Would anyone be willing to order one on my behalf and post it to Dublin. I will paypal the money to you.

Dave, the genuine VW part is £40 inc of uk vat(probs £41 now with the vat increased to 20% since the thread was created), what's the vat rate in Ireland? Probs cheaper just to buy from VW?

vat is 23% and with the inflated prices charged here it would be doubtfull that it is cheaper here. I will check though tomorrow.
@g60leigh. I wouldn't have a clue what postage charges would be from the U.K. Say £28 delivered to the U.K then whatever postage is from there to here.

Last edited:
Cheers, I've just ordered one to be fitted sometime in the next 24 months.

Took a week to arrive, no fitting instructions, but there's 5 colour coded wires, so I guess it's just a case of tapping the correct colored wire and snipping them on? I will test it first somehow and report back.

Took a week to arrive, no fitting instructions, but there's 5 colour coded wires, so I guess it's just a case of tapping the correct colored wire and snipping them on? I will test it first somehow and report back.
Instructions are linked from the eBay listing.
Only in German tho
Here they are with my rough translation.

Adapter - Installation Instructions Universe Harness Comfort Indicator Warning ! The first thing is : Disconnect the battery before beginning work First, remove the cover below the dash panel insert made ​​by them to draw on it! . This is only gesteckt.Dann the cover of the fuses you entfernen.Lösen five screws securing the storage compartment footwell. Diagnostic connector and floor lamp Klipsen.Schrauben it ab.Entfernen Höhenregulierung the grip of the steering wheel , the lower half of the steering column cover by making two Phillips screws and a Torx lösen.Nun the wiring harness in the steering column switch ( turn signal lever ) and the Zündschloßes identified. These run near the steering column to the tissue band they Zentralelektrik.Entfernen effect to perform it . Not cut, it must later drum wrapped again werden.Jetzt disconnect using the supplied power thieves the
lines described below on  Red line . Terminal 15 Zündplus ( Cable color black )  Yellow line : Warning light switch on the left ( cable color black / white)  White line : terminal 49a ( cable color black / white / green)  Blue line : Warning light switch on the right ( black line color green)  black line : terminal 31 MASSEIN reverse order to reassemble .

Adapter – UniverseEinbauanleitung Kabelsatz Komfort-BlinkerACHTUNG!!! Als erstes gilt: Batterie vor Beginn der Arbeiten abklemmen!Bauen Sie zuerst die Abdeckung unterhalb des Schalttafeleinsatzes aus, indem Sie sie auf sich zu ziehen. Diese ist nur gesteckt.Dann die Abdeckung der Sicherungen entfernen.Lösen Sie fünf Befestigungsschrauben des Ablagefachs Fußraum. Diagnosestecker und Fußraumleuchte aus Klipsen.Schrauben Sie den Griff der Höhenregulierung des Lenkrades ab.Entfernen sie die untere Hälfte der Lenkstockabdeckung indem Sie zwei Kreuzschrauben und eine Torxschraube lösen.Nun den Leitungsstrang des Lenkstockschalters (Blinkerhebel) und des Zündschloßes ausfindig machen. Diese laufen in der Nähe der Lenksäule zur Zentralelektrik.Entfernen sie das Gewebeband indem sie es abwickeln. Nicht aufschneiden, es muss später wieder drumgewickelt werden.Jetzt klemmen
Sie mit Hilfe der mitgelieferten Stromdiebe die Leitungen wie unten beschrieben auf. Rote Leitung: Klemme 15 Zündplus (Leitungsfarbe schwarz) Gelbe Leitung: Warnlichtschalter links (Leitungsfarbe schwarz/weiß) Weiße Leitung: Klemme 49a (Leitungsfarbe schwarz/weiß/grün) Blaue Leitung: Warnlichtschalter rechts (Leitungsfarbe schwarz Grün) Schwarze Leitung: Klemme 31 MasseIn umgekehrter Reihenfolge wieder zusammenbauen.

Instructions are linked from the eBay listing.
Only in German tho
Here they are with my rough translation.

Adapter - Installation Instructions Universe Harness Comfort Indicator Warning ! The first thing is : Disconnect the battery before beginning work First, remove the cover below the dash panel insert made ​​by them to draw on it! . This is only gesteckt.Dann the cover of the fuses you entfernen.Lösen five screws securing the storage compartment footwell. Diagnostic connector and floor lamp Klipsen.Schrauben it ab.Entfernen Höhenregulierung the grip of the steering wheel , the lower half of the steering column cover by making two Phillips screws and a Torx lösen.Nun the wiring harness in the steering column switch ( turn signal lever ) and the Zündschloßes identified. These run near the steering column to the tissue band they Zentralelektrik.Entfernen effect to perform it . Not cut, it must later drum wrapped again werden.Jetzt disconnect using the supplied power thieves the
lines described below on  Red line . Terminal 15 Zündplus ( Cable color black )  Yellow line : Warning light switch on the left ( cable color black / white)  White line : terminal 49a ( cable color black / white / green)  Blue line : Warning light switch on the right ( black line color green)  black line : terminal 31 MASSEIN reverse order to reassemble .

Adapter – UniverseEinbauanleitung Kabelsatz Komfort-BlinkerACHTUNG!!! Als erstes gilt: Batterie vor Beginn der Arbeiten abklemmen!Bauen Sie zuerst die Abdeckung unterhalb des Schalttafeleinsatzes aus, indem Sie sie auf sich zu ziehen. Diese ist nur gesteckt.Dann die Abdeckung der Sicherungen entfernen.Lösen Sie fünf Befestigungsschrauben des Ablagefachs Fußraum. Diagnosestecker und Fußraumleuchte aus Klipsen.Schrauben Sie den Griff der Höhenregulierung des Lenkrades ab.Entfernen sie die untere Hälfte der Lenkstockabdeckung indem Sie zwei Kreuzschrauben und eine Torxschraube lösen.Nun den Leitungsstrang des Lenkstockschalters (Blinkerhebel) und des Zündschloßes ausfindig machen. Diese laufen in der Nähe der Lenksäule zur Zentralelektrik.Entfernen sie das Gewebeband indem sie es abwickeln. Nicht aufschneiden, es muss später wieder drumgewickelt werden.Jetzt klemmen
Sie mit Hilfe der mitgelieferten Stromdiebe die Leitungen wie unten beschrieben auf. Rote Leitung: Klemme 15 Zündplus (Leitungsfarbe schwarz) Gelbe Leitung: Warnlichtschalter links (Leitungsfarbe schwarz/weiß) Weiße Leitung: Klemme 49a (Leitungsfarbe schwarz/weiß/grün) Blaue Leitung: Warnlichtschalter rechts (Leitungsfarbe schwarz Grün) Schwarze Leitung: Klemme 31 MasseIn umgekehrter Reihenfolge wieder zusammenbauen.

Yes, I found it after I posted Leigh, seems more complex than the instructions in the first post! lol

I've done this tonight. Nice and easy mod.
I ended up getting a genuine VW one and did it within about 25 minutes.

I've got a German one linked above going spare so if anyone interested please pm me.

Ah cool - yeah I saw them but was under the impression you bought something different! *slaps forehead*

Yeah mate. I bought a eBay one from Germany (link is above) but haven't used that one. I ended up getting a VW one and using that.

Yeah I'll do the same - got a vee dub dealer down the road :) cheers mate

Reactions: g60leigh
Hi is the same part number (000 998 229) correct for cars with and without cruise control as well as facelift and pre facelift cars?