1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Colour Coding

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by dreddg, Nov 10, 2006.

1. dreddg

dreddg Member

[Nov 10, 2006]
    HI all

Just wondering, how easy is it to colour code all the grey/black bits on my A6? As I have seen some peoples bumpers and trim start to crack and peel off, any advice much appreciated.

THANK YOU
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 20, 2014]

3. Peloton

Peloton Member

[Nov 10, 2006]
    I'm no expert but I'd say put a few coats of putty primer on before the base coat/colour. That gets rid of the dimply effect some plastic trim has and also gives the paint a better surface to stick to. Give a day between each coat then lightly sand with 640 or 800 grit wet & dry sandpaper (you'll get this from Halfords). Then a few coats of your base colour and then a few of your finishing colour. Better more thin coats than fewer thick coats, hence the cracking, I think. Each coat should be given at least a day to dry, preferebly not too cold an environment either. Then put on a few coats of laquer and sand using fine (1200 & then 1500 grit) wet & dry sandpaper. Always keep the sandpaper wet, it gives a better finish.
    I've painted a few computer cases using this method except there was a helluva lot more coats/sanding as I wanted an almost mirror finish.

If anyone knows any better feel free to inform, like I said I'm going to do mine soon too.
  4. VennyQuattro

VennyQuattro Member

[Dec 7, 2006]
    You can get good colour match paint from Halfords, the spray tin costs about £10, but they use the colour code of your car and I can vouch for it being a very good match (used on 2 previous cars).
    Great for bumber touch ups, using the advice above :)
  5. Tanuki

Tanuki Tanuki

[Jan 23, 2007]
    I assume the paint needs to be flexible for the plastic bits....someone called it "flexipaint" if I recall correctly