1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cold start stutter/coolant leak

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by Jp-tqs, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Jp-tqs

Jp-tqs Member

Hi, 1.8t 190 here. First thing in the morning when i start my car from cold it starts but stutters and kind of shakes the whole car for 1 maybe 2 seconds. Sounds and feels horrible, then all is fine and drives perfect. Start from warm is just as it should be.
    also i have a coolant leak, can see damp and stains where i park at work and the resivior was worryingly low this morning, ie.... nowhere near the min mark!
    Any ideas please?!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Veero

Veero Member

Juddering could be a coil pack on its way I guess and not firing properly maybe?

As for the coolant leak you need to have a poke around in the engine bay with a torch and look for crystalised residues around the coolant pipework. There's loads of places it can leak from. I had a tiny leak from the actual coolant temp sensor itself which leaked a puddle on my drive. Never leaked again after that once it sealed itself with residue.

4. Jp-tqs

Jp-tqs Member

Had a good trunk around but nothing obvious! Liking your self sealing leak! Going to scan it tommorow with my ebay special fault code reader.