1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cold start stutter/coolant leak

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by Jp-tqs, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Jp-tqs

Jp-tqs Member

[Dec 13, 2012]
    Hi, 1.8t 190 here. First thing in the morning when i start my car from cold it starts but stutters and kind of shakes the whole car for 1 maybe 2 seconds. Sounds and feels horrible, then all is fine and drives perfect. Start from warm is just as it should be.
    also i have a coolant leak, can see damp and stains where i park at work and the resivior was worryingly low this morning, ie.... nowhere near the min mark!
    Any ideas please?!
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. Veero

Veero Member

[Dec 13, 2012]
    Juddering could be a coil pack on its way I guess and not firing properly maybe?

As for the coolant leak you need to have a poke around in the engine bay with a torch and look for crystalised residues around the coolant pipework. There's loads of places it can leak from. I had a tiny leak from the actual coolant temp sensor itself which leaked a puddle on my drive. Never leaked again after that once it sealed itself with residue.
  4. Jp-tqs

Jp-tqs Member

[Dec 13, 2012]
    Had a good trunk around but nothing obvious! Liking your self sealing leak! Going to scan it tommorow with my ebay special fault code reader.