1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

COILPACK - Lesson to be learnt

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by pav-g, Feb 5, 2008.

1. pav-g

pav-g Member

[Feb 5, 2008]
    Hi Guys,
    If you can recall a couple of months ago one of my coilpacks failed and I thought it was the end of the world for my 190 well at the time I was advised to change all four coilpacks but decided just to replace the faulty one. Well come saturday aft two more failed so I was car less until monday then found out that dealers were out of stock and coilpacks would be in tuesday - which I collected but the amount of hassle and stress this inconvenience caused was unbelievable.

So guys with 1.8t's if a coilpack fails replace all four because your guaranteed one or more of the remaining ones will be following suit and most likely at a time when the car is most needed.

Now that ive got 4 new ones the car is driving awesome, even more smoother and responsive and fuel consumption has been excellent.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. golf

golf ***** rent boy VCDS Map User

[Feb 6, 2008]
    I've got two spares in my A4 glovebox, and the S3 had a spare just in case too. It's always good to carry one around just in case. These 1.8 engines don't respond well to running on three cylinders!
  4. pav-g

pav-g Member

[Feb 6, 2008]
    Snap got one in the glovebox myself as spare
  5. chris_20

chris_20 Member

[Feb 6, 2008]
    wise words there pav. so are coilpacks only on the 1.8t models??
  6. Nickynibbles

Nickynibbles Damn it where's 7th gear when you need it?!

[Feb 6, 2008]
    Nope, we've all got them, they just seem to go more on the 1.8t models for some reason!
  7. chris_20

chris_20 Member

[Feb 6, 2008]
    so how would you know if a coil pack had gone and where is the coilpack located?
  8. pav-g

pav-g Member

[Feb 6, 2008]
    They sit on top of your spark plugs and believe me you'l know when ones gone. The car will be hesitant, loads of vibration from engine, engine management light will start to breakdance - virtually impossible to drive. In fact if and when it happens dont risk driving it further one can cause more damage than good
  9. dan_b

dan_b Member

[Feb 6, 2008]
    Coilpacks tend to go more regularly in the 1.8T engines than in normally aspirated ones primarily due to heat soak from that hot spinning turbo under the bonnet - the extra heat, and the heat cycling just serves to break the wiring down more quickly.

Having said that, I've heard that the design of the 1.8T ones may not be up to scratch (ie. they should be better engineered to cope with the heat), and they've had issues with faulty batches too.

I had a coilpack go on my 3.0V6 and of course it was the most inaccessible one right at the back of the engine which meant taking off the most of inlet tract to get at it! Probably that one went with it being the bit of the engine with the worst heat soak I'm guessing.
  10. Nickynibbles

Nickynibbles Damn it where's 7th gear when you need it?!

[Feb 6, 2008]
    The heat thing I suppose could make sense, I wonder if the newer 2.0T engine will suffer similar coil pack failures?

But basically what your saying is people need to start having vent grills stamped into their bonnets in the style of TVR's?? Fair enough, who's game enough or mad enough to give this a try??!!
  11. chris_20

chris_20 Member

[Feb 6, 2008]
    im sure j7uss would give that a go- after all he does have a chrome reg plate surround....only messing buddy- u the man ;)
  12. a4sline190

a4sline190 Member

[Feb 7, 2008]
    Had to replace 2 over the last 6 months, now carry another 2 spare new ones in the boot.

Around £28 from dealer each and if it goes can be easily changed at side of the road 2 min job.
  13. J7USS

J7USS Shuddup Foooool!!

[Feb 8, 2008]
    Haha!!, Hmmmm chrome vents!!:wub: