1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coilovers or shocks ??

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by hewy, Jun 28, 2012.

1. hewy

hewy New Member

Hi guys , have decided to lower my b5 1.9 tdi se and with limited funds decided to go 4 springs on std shocks , read a lot about this being false economy as shocks 13 yrs old and Deffo past there best , my question is I don't know whether to go 4 coilovers with springs or shocks and springs , was hoping to go 40mm on back and 45 mm on front , seen a few sets on e bay 4 about 160 squid , what is the difference between coilies and shocks and wondered if anyone could help me choose right ones (dont want to buy and fit and find out I got wrong ones ). Thanks guys ..
  2. N8

N8 Kowalski Details

You want coilovers brother.
  3. hewy

hewy New Member

Why's that bud , I have heard they are a lot stiffer , what's the advantage to coilovers over shocks .
  4. HEKTOR

HEKTOR Member

ride comfort will depend on your budget in my opinion. With suspension you get what you pay for.

You cant go wrong with bilstein either their coilovers or damper/spring combo. I use the bilstein pss9 coilover and i have much better ride comfort than stock.
  5. hewy

hewy New Member

I've seen some shocks and springs sets and coilover and springs sets on eBay 4 about 220 quid , I know they are not going to be bilstein quality but like I say , I'm on a budget. : ( do u think they would be ok , ?
  6. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator

They will probably be fairly harsh, some of them have been known to rattle, and likely wont last more than a couple years.

Really depends what you want from it, personally i'd buy some lowering springs for now, and save up for some replacement dampers.
  7. hewy

hewy New Member

Thanks 4 that bud , if I get springs now though , how would I know dampers fit springs when I finally get some , are they universal if both springs and dampers are 4 same model ? Wondered if u had any experience or heard anything about lesjofors springs .. the only reason I looked at cheap kit was I can fit my fist sideways between tyre and arch. ( monster truck lookalike at mo ) and everyone says don't go more than 40mm on std shocks but don't know if that will be enough , , still got to be going over bumps and potholes so don't want to low, , will ride be ok on std shocks with 40 mm. , cheers bud. ..
  8. aragorn

It'll be fine, but the lower stiffer springs will mean the shocks work harder. If the shocks are old and weak then the car will become bouncy as the dampers are unable to do their job. They're also more likely to fail when worked harder with uprated springs.

I've ran lowering springs and Bilstein B4 dampers (which are their OEM replacement ones, rather than uprated) on an old car and they were fine. Infact Bilstein used to sell a kit with this very combination called "Streetline", but they dont any more. Having said that, you might find you can get hold of a streetline kit, EuroPerformance still have them listed for £280, which seems like an alright deal

If you can afford to buy something like the streetline kit, or a Koni STRT kit (280-300ish) then i'd buy those.

If you cant, then i'd buy some springs, and save up to replace the shocks over the next few months.
  9. hewy

hewy New Member

That's great , thanks 4 the help bud...looking at g max stuff , have u heard anything about them. ? Deffo look at streetline though , sounds good price. : )
  10. aragorn

11. N8

N8 Kowalski Details

You want coilovers as you have the adjustability of ride height, and ride comfort.
  12. aragorn

Your not going to get good coilovers for 300quid though.

And cheap coilovers are invariably ****, badly fitting, harsh and poor quality.

I'd rather forgo the adjustability of a cheap coilover and instead know i've got quality parts on the car.
  13. Jason.s

Jason.s Active Member

My weitec coilovers were 395 and I'd say that's about the best quality for the price you'll get on the coilovers front.
  14. hewy

hewy New Member

Thanks guys , will keep hold of the two links , i noticed both said they only fit up to a 98 b5 , will ask them if they will fit nearer the time , thanx again 4 great advice guys .........
  15. hewy

hewy New Member

Don't know if this is a silly question or not but are all lowering springs the same stifness, ie are 20 - 30 mm springs as stiff as 45 - 50mm springs.....Thanx.....