Coil Packs

benstevens

Reaction score
Problems again, got in my car this morning (first sign of frost) started it up and... Bag of nails, thought that maybe it would be ok after it warmed up a little, but no, engine management light on and all sorts, But managed to get to work, called out road side assistance and he replaced the ignition coils, apparently its rare for the coils to go on the S3, my ar*e! The technician said that Audi brought the company that made the coils cos they went bust, not suprised with all those recalls.

Has anyone else suffered with the cold spell? This is the third time that roadside assistance have come out, are all S3 this unreliable, never had a single hiccup with my A3.

Love the car but not the problems. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

It does seem to be the cold that brings it on. Mine failed twice last year during the winter, and apparantly the Audi Dealers were clearning their forecourts when there was a frost for all the incoming cars with broken coil's. At least that's what the 2nd dealer who was lucky enough to get my car said!

My S3 was brought used from a dealer two years ago, it's one of the first uk cars i think, as it doesnt have ESP.

I have no record of the coilpacks being replaced, I've never (touchwood) had any problems with them, driving the car all year round. Ant ideas what I should look for to see if they have been replaced at some point?

Sorry mate, not sure what you need to be looking for, i'm sure someone on here does though..... Didnt take long for the replacements to be fitted, might just be my imagination but the car feels better than before, smoother power delivery? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I recently had to take my S3 into the Garage (2nd time this year) with exactly the same problem. I asked Audi to change all the coil packs (on the warranty) but they said they could only change the faulty one!!! However they did say Audi has extended the warranty on the coil packs from 3 yrs to 5yrs given the amount of problems they have been having with them - it seems this option is easier and cheaper for them than a mass recall!!

Yep read my post, my coils went on Friday 100m from home.

I too asked audi to replace them before they went, they would not touch them, so inevitably i broke down. What a silly thing for them to do, why not call back all S3's and stop the amount of roadside recoverys. Luckily it cost me Zilch but it's costing Audi a fortune.

Cold weather i reckon is what made them pop. I dont know how you managed to get to work, i could only do 40 mhp and the car stalled in 6th, i also had Articlated Lorries overtaking me while i was on the phone to Audi Roadside, she also told me to pull over so i did not do any damage..

Anyone know when the new versions came in??

Mine is Oct 01, no problems so far.... but only had the car for month & a half!!!

From what I heard, the dodgy coilpacks are everywhere across the VAG range, but seem prone to the 1.8 Turbo engine that is used. Like everyone else, you just have to drive it until it happens, though you can ask Audi to do something; they won't until it is deemed faulty.

I had a MY00 210 and have a MY02 225 S3 and they have been fine (touch wood for me and DanS3).

I had to go back to my dealer on 3 separate occasions over the summer because of these coilpacks. Instead of changing them all at once I had the inconvenience (and the probability that i have now damaged my CAT) of them failing 3 times within 8 weeks!!

Lucky for me the main dealer was very good and replaced them FOC the last two visits.