1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coil Packs - VW hold hands up - Audi heads in sand

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by ColinM, Feb 22, 2003.

1. ColinM

ColinM Member

[Feb 22, 2003]
    Isn't it odd that as soon as you visit the www.vw.co.uk a pop up directs you to an admission about the coil pack problem. The Audi UK site on the other hand makes no mention of the issue.

Shame on Audi UK.

VW UK Site

VW Coil Pack Statement

2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 18, 2014]

3. Jack829

Jack829 New Member

[Feb 22, 2003]
    Colin,

Will this concern S3's that have just driven off
    the production line or have they "sorted it out" since the
    problem was brought to light. I'm interested as my S3 is
    being built this week.

Cheers

Jack.
  4. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

[Feb 22, 2003]
    Out of interest, who makes these dodgy coil packs? Is is VAG etc's fault or a manufacturer like Bosche or such who have let them down?
  5. Gambba

Gambba Active Member

[Feb 24, 2003]
    [ QUOTE ]
    khufu said:
    Out of interest, who makes these dodgy coil packs? Is is VAG etc's fault or a manufacturer like Bosche or such who have let them down?

[/ QUOTE ]

Very much doubt it's a VAG made part, and Bosch or someone like that are probably the supplier, but I also doubt that they can change the part without prior approval by VAG, and probably the change was done by VAG design and just implemented by the supplier.

The above is just speaking from my experience working with large suppliers, and changes to a design for the worse ........but Sh#t happens! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
  6. Crafty

Crafty Member

[Feb 24, 2003]
    I was told its a problem in the factory and the way they are installed ".. get whacked in with a hammer". Dunno how true it is...
  7. audi_girl

audi_girl Active Member

[Feb 24, 2003]
    I even spoke with Audi UK a couple of weeks ago, and he wouldn't admit there was a flaw with the component.......
  8. ColinM

ColinM Member

[Feb 24, 2003]
    One of my UK dealer contacts actually said "don't mention that dirty word" when I spoke to him about coil packs a month or so ago. My view is Audi UK are really trying to play this down.

9. audi_girl

audi_girl Active Member

[Feb 24, 2003]
    Yeah that's my impression too - the ostrich approach!

And quietly replace them as they fail. I am totally amazed this hasn't been bigger news really!?!
  10. Jon

Jon Member

[Feb 25, 2003]
    Now that's why we pay a premium for better service ... NOT

I just had a thought actually, if a coil pack goes and you limp it to the dealer as instructed are you not going to kill the CAT due to the unburnt fuel saturating it?

Mmm,

Jon.
  11. audi_girl

audi_girl Active Member

[Feb 26, 2003]
    If you kill a coilpack call Audi Assist ! If you can ever get through to them that is !
  12. Drystone

Drystone Member

[Feb 26, 2003]
    Jon,

You're right in theory but I drove (limped /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) 20 miles to my dealer when my coilpack gave up the ghost and I assume my CAT is still okay. Thing is though is it okay? I wonder if the dealer actually checks the bloody thing even though they know that you have driven some distance on 3 cylinders. My guess is not/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif.

Christian
  13. [Dave B]

[Dave B] Rrrrrrrr-tech

[Feb 26, 2003]
    To be honest i've only owned my audi for about six months and i'm already beginning to think that the level of service is nothing close to what i'd expected, so if you take your car to the dealership just expect them to fix what you tell them is broken rather the knock on effects of it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif
  14. P1LSY

P1LSY New Member

[Mar 4, 2003]
    http://www.audi-sport.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=1,2,4,3&Board=a3s3&Number=10790&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Please take a look at this post? Some interesting stuff I have found out? Cant get the link to work? but below is pasted from the front page?

Ignition Coil Packs - shagga 45 3 04/03/03 08:54 PM
  15. audi_girl

audi_girl Active Member

[Mar 5, 2003]
    Yeah I saw that, but no response from Audi on there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif