1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coil pack loom replaced ... so smooth now!!

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by vfr800, Feb 16, 2013.

1. vfr800

vfr800 Member

Hi

I finally got around to splicing in a replacement coil pack loom.

Amazing how much difference it does make, the engine and throttle response seems much smoother now.

I found my old one was pretty knackered once I'd removed the insulating tape. It's really scary making that first cut into the loom but glad I plucked up the balls to do it.

While doing this I noticed my tensioner gasket is leaking ... Dammit I only replaced it last year, another job back on the list.

Liam
  2. phil miller

phil miller Member

This is a job ive gotta do :( ive got 4 new connectors so its just a case of making the loom, not a massive job just not one i really wanna do
  3. vfr800

vfr800 Member

ah I got the standard replacement loom from TPS and just cut off all the useless **** and spliced it in. For 25 quid you've got all the correct gauges of wire and the connectors are professionally terminated. Just a matter of matching the wires, cutting, soldering and heat shrinking.

For the S3 none of the off the shelf looms match colouring or configuration so a bit of thinking and butchering is required. If there was a correct loom available I'd have re wired it all the way back to the ECU.

The new loom had 1 solid-brown coming from the connectors but my existing loom had three separate browns so I had to splice them all together. It ended up tidy enough but just meant I had to triple check connections before cutting and splicing.
  4. phil miller

phil miller Member

Tps sell a replacement part of loom for £25? Awesome do you have the part number and is it like the four plugs and 6inches of wire? Is it for an S3 or A3? Need info so I can order one ASAP :)
  5. vfr800

vfr800 Member

Awesome GTI have one, they have it marketed as an ECS product.
    ECS Tuning Coilpack Wiring Loom Replacement

There are two version of the loom, one has oil sensor wiring and the other doesn't.

It doesn't matter what one you get as you'll strip out the non-coil pack plugs/wires and cut the whole thing in half.

From the dealer or TPS the part should be 1J0 971 658 M (oil sensor) or 1J0 971 658 L (no oil sensor)

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/169789-awesome-gti-coil-pack-looms-s3.html

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  6. Westy

Westy Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

I bet most of the cars on this forum have a badly cracked loom. It really does make a big difference once swapped over.
  7. Eddie S3

Eddie S3 Member

Just bought one from Awesome thanks to this thread. Have been putting it off for months and month and then totally forgot about it
  8. phil miller

phil miller Member

Mine are cracked really badly, and lets face it, that wont get any better :) will call TPS tomorrow and see if they do it, if not i will get one from the top link, that really is spot on

Thanks lads
  9. Sam_

Sam_ Down under

Is it easily visible or do you have to rip it all apart to see it? I'd go out and check but the cars about 4,000 miles away at present...
  10. vfr800

vfr800 Member

If you can get to the coil pack connectors it's easy. You'll usually see the insulation cracked.

[​IMG]
  11. A3 T

A3 T Lord Of The Rings

This is what mine looked like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. A3-Lee

A3-Lee Active Member

Does anyone do a replacement loom for a AGU or am I going to have to make one
  13. vfr800

vfr800 Member

I've googled and can't find any one doing these.

I think your only option is to buy 4 of the connectors (4D0 906 232) and make your own loom up. Make sure you match the gauges of wire and that you terminate the crimp terminals well. Fortunately you only have three wires on each plug.
  14. s3gazz

s3gazz Active Member

Mine is too got to sort this ha