1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coil pack issue?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by djarchive, Feb 1, 2010.

1. djarchive

djarchive Member

Every time it comes on boost it judders and i've had this problem before.

The 2nd coil pack (looking at the engine) is somewhat loose / doesn't fit flush in the engine :bye:

Basically I believe it to be running on 3 cylinders atm.:no:
    Could somebody clarify the above and then advise how to fix / what to replace and where to buy a coil apck from?

How much would a new pack cost? £40?:think:

Thanks,

Joe
  2. goodwoodgreens3

goodwoodgreens3 Member

Hi mate, got this exact same prob, took the engine cover off this morning and noticed coil pack number 2 was'nt seated right, i pushed it back on properly and re-checked it this afternoon only to find it proud again.In the mornings i've felt that the car has been starting on 3 cylinders but as soon as i pull off the drive it seems to run properly???
  3. Welly

Welly VX220 SC Driver :)

What engines are we talking about here - I'm assuming that you haven't got the bolt down coils....

New coil is about £25 from Audi. Worth getting genuine ones for the money. Also, check the plugs are in tight if the coil is working back out.
  4. djarchive

djarchive Member

Exactly the same problem.

Doing somewhat naughty speeds down to Devon on Friday morning, No problems atall... and then when I got back to get on the motorway on Sunday afternoon coming back to Lancashire (baring in mind I hadn't had this problem in ages since the last coil pack went/ so 6 months)- It suddenly started again being a sluggish pile o' **** when it comes on boost.

The coil is defo not seated right / when the engine is running on idle, starts to come back out once you've pushed it flush. You can actually see it coming... little sh*t.

Its going in for a new coil tonight, fitted for £50. Gonna get him to run a diagnostic on it too just to be safe / make sure the 4 coils are sending a strong enough spark down so to speak...

It has gone a brown/ rusty colour in relation to the 1st coil.

My presumption... 2nd coil has failed completly :( :(

Update tomorrow people
  5. djarchive

djarchive Member

Sorry Welly,

2002 / BAM S3 / 61k. No engine lights so thats reassuring (abit) :(
  6. djarchive

djarchive Member

Update: 2nd coil was fooked. All brown in colour and not firing atall apparenty cuasing a miss-fire when she came on boost....

Glad its sorted.

£35 for a new Audi 1. Job's a good-un :) :)

Thanks chaps

Joe