1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clutch starting to slip on 2.8Q - will I need a 2nd mortgage??

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Nige P, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Nige P

Nige P Member

[Jul 22, 2009]
    I have a '99 T, 2.8 Q Avant with 117k on clock. The clutch has always engaged right at the top of travel and has been 'flagged' as needing replacement as far back as '95 occording to the history file. Now I have noticed a lack of 'bite' in that it will slip when trying for a spirited getaway. It seems fine during normal driving when the revs are more matched but if I did a 2nd gear pull away from a junction it sounds more like an automatic, but there is no juddering?!

I mentioned this to my mechanic and he said it may well be on its final legs and best get it sorted before it goes completely. He also mentioned the dual-mass flywheel will need changing as well, followed by a moment of 'sucking air through teeth', as tradesmen do.

I found a quote from Audi for £1100 +vat to change it back in '95. Is this for real?? Are there any other options open to me??

Any advice would be appreciated.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Jul 22, 2009]
    Quotes from '95 for a '99 car is good going, can i borrow your tardis? ;)

The clutch itself isnt expensive, a motorfactors would charge you around £100-150 tops for it. The flywheel can be pricey, probably around 3-400quid, although a common option would be to change to a single mass unit, which can often be cheaper, and as long as the friction plate is sprung it will be fine.

It will probably cost £1100 at an audi dealer, but i'd say quite a bit less at an independent.

Siena on here might be able to sort you out with a single mass flywheel. He quoted me around £250 for one for my V8 engine, which seems better than the cost of a replacement DMF!
  4. auroan

auroan Active Member

[Jul 22, 2009]
    I got quoted £600 all in (parts, fitting and VAT) from York Audi in October last year for my old 00' 2.8q and that was the best price I could find.
  5. Nige P

Nige P Member

[Jul 22, 2009]
    That'll be '05 then :rolleyes:

Dare I ask, what is the difference between a single & dual mass, as in features & benefits?

Is this DIY doable on the 2.8 or a definate garage job??
  6. aragorn

[Jul 22, 2009]
    Anythings DIY-able ;)

Question is go you have the tools etc to do it?

You need to either remove the prop, driveshafts, possibly part of the exhaust, and drop the gearbox off the back of the engine OR pull the whole engine out the front, leaving the box where it is.

Not sure which way would be easier. Removing the box is what a garage would do, but they've got ramps and transmission jacks etc. Laying on your back under the car trying to wrestle 50kgs of gearbox into place might not sound like too much fun, in which case removing the engine might be better. Similarly though, removing the engine is going to need a suitable crane etc.

Personally, i couldnt afford to pay someone to do it, so i'd be under there myself. The £300+ you'd otherwise spend in labour buys a lot of tools and equipment that can be used in the future.

Auroan: Your 600quid quote i cant see including the DMF. They're £350-400 in the aftermarket, i'd imagine a dealer would want over £500 for one.
  7. auroan

auroan Active Member

[Jul 22, 2009]
    Yeah the quote was clutch change only. You only really have to change the flywheel if the clutch breaks up and damages it.

Although a lot of forum members would recommend doing it as you've got the box/clutch off anyway.
  8. aragorn

[Jul 22, 2009]
    The DMF's do wear out. They're effectively two steel plates with rubber bonding them together. The rubber becomes hard and brittle causing judder and can disintegrate.

Also the extra heat a slipping clutch will generate, can easily exacerbate the DMF's condition.

The chances of a DMF being in a serviceable condition after however many thousand miles it takes for the clutch to die, is pretty slim.

If our clutch ever fails i'll be changing it for a single mass.
  9. Nige P

Nige P Member

[Jul 22, 2009]
    That is definately a garage job for me then! I draw the line at removing engines, well removing would be the easy bit, it's the a la Heynes "replace in reverse order" that will be the tricky part!

I've spent more on servicing & repairing my A4 and the wifes A3 in the last 2 years than I have ever spent in total on all my previous cars over the past 23 years! Not sure whether I am having an unlucky period or whether I have been extremely lucky in the past??!!
  10. Siena

Siena Active Member

[Jul 22, 2009]
    I do a clutch replacement on a 2,4 / 2,8 30V by removing the transmission, but of course, I work on a ramp, so can stand under the car in relative comfort.

I'd replace the flywheel with a single-mass item. It offers a nicer pedal feel, and will probably outlast the car itself. Dual-mass items are damaged by heat, a slipping clutch will destroy it in time, as the rubber blocks that seperate the 2 halves harden, and break up.

With these, I fit a regular 30V clutch cover, with an S4 / RS4 sprung friction disc.