1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clutch Slipping after 4 months

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by James P, Apr 8, 2013.

1. James P

James P New Member

[Apr 8, 2013]
    Hi All,

Has anyone had any issues with the clucth slipping on their A3? I noticed this within a few months of buying the car, particularly when in 'Auto' or 'Dynamic' Drive Select mode. RPM would shoot up at around 2200rpm without the corresponding increase in road speed.

I've booked into my local Audi centre on Wednesday for three days for the gearbox to be removed and the clucth assessed. I'm told it won't necessarily be covered by warranty.

I do a relatively long commute to work (80 mile round trip) on A-Roads with minimal traffic. Car has almost 7,000 miles on the clock.

Any advice or similar past experiences would be appreciated.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 30, 2014]

3. Blackie

Blackie Active Member

[Apr 8, 2013]
    Wont be covered on warranty . WTF ?
  4. James P

James P New Member

[Apr 8, 2013]
    Audi service guy said if the clutch is found to be 'burnt' it may not be covered. Not sure what that means- but will be fighting my corner if they don't cover it.
  5. Blackie

Blackie Active Member

[Apr 8, 2013]
    I should hope so too, if it was an S with a st2 i would be inclined to say yes but a 1.6 diesel no way
  6. jb0o

jb0o North East Forum Moderator Regional Rep Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Apr 8, 2013]
    Thats ridiculous. Regardless of how you drive the car it should definitely be covered under warranty. I can see how they could class a clutch as a "wear and tear" item but to not cover it under the warranty, especially being only 4 months in, is absurd.
  7. lee_fr200

lee_fr200 Active Member

[Apr 8, 2013]
    They will be able to tell if its had hard launches and if it has they will say that is the cause and is wear and tear (an M3 clutch pack on a e46 m3 in S7 gearbox mode would last 4/5 launches before te clutch was knackered) so that's what they will try and say is wrong I'm guessing
  8. jb0o

jb0o North East Forum Moderator Regional Rep Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Apr 8, 2013]
    I can certainly see your point, in an M3, but not in a 1.6TDI. You'd need to be pulled by a few more horses to get a hard launch, unless the clutch is made of Wensleydales finest.
  9. mjcourtney

mjcourtney Well-Known Member

[Apr 9, 2013]
    If you check the warranty Ts & Cs you'll see that clutches aren't covered at all, as they are classed as wear and tear items (the friction plates at least). That said, I would expect Audi to take care of you on this as it is such a new model and you haven't had it long!
  10. Gordo77

Gordo77 Member

[Apr 9, 2013]
    Hmmm I've noticed on mine if the road is a tiny bit damp/wet its easy to get the wheels spinning a bit if you try and accelerate too quickly. Could it be something like that you are experiencing, and possibly the traction control kicking in?
  11. XXXCorps

XXXCorps Member

[Apr 9, 2013]
    Get ready with a strong letter of complaint to Audi Customer Services and/or Financial Services if the car has been purchased through them if they decide this is out of scope for warranty cover. It'd take some pretty shoddy driving to burn a clutch in 7000 miles.
    In 26 years of driving I've only ever had one clutch need replacing and that was on a car with 89,000 miles on it.
  12. hittchy

hittchy Member

[Apr 9, 2013]
    Unfortunately, many components are excluded from the 3 year warranty, but Audi never market that. There's a document on their website outlining the details.

http://www.audi.co.uk/content/dam/a...ingProducts/warranty-terms-and-conditions.pdf

I've had numerous issues with the clutch on my A4. They did some work in the first 6 months, but then when further problems became apparent after 18 months they wanted me to pay. It was only a small judder when the car was really hot so I've just lived with it. However, if they ever did work like this I the future, I'd want a written guarantee that any clutch work (or other consequential work) would be covered for the full 3 years.

It's a fair point about clutches being open to abuse, but I think they're firmly in the minority. Hold your ground with the dealer - it's up to them to prove its been abused. Ask them to retain all parts because you may wish to have your own independent inspection done if the results are disputed.

Also, don't forget your statutory protection under the Sale of Goods Act. Would a normal person reasonably expect a clutch to last longer than 3 years? If so, regardless of warranty, you'd stand a good chance of winning.
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2013