1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

clutch slip

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by s3ollie, Mar 17, 2008.

1. s3ollie

s3ollie Member

[Mar 17, 2008]
    Hi, my clutch is starting to slip in higher gears so i have downed my boost to give it a break for the moment.

Should i replace it with another standard one or am i best to go for an uprated one.

Will a standard one just get raped again? cars done 70K mile so its around the time it normally goes isn't it?
  2. 1animal1

1animal1 The Clar!! it mouves!!! VCDS Map User

[Mar 17, 2008]
    not sure if theres a specific time, my last car went from 25k miles to 125k with me hammering it the whole time..... still on its original
  3. ash_s3

ash_s3 Active Member

[Mar 17, 2008]
    Just done mine ollie mate, my S3 had also done 70k and been re-mapped for 20k of it.
    I did alot of researching into it and figured that the standard clutch was all i needed, replaced the whole kit though including the slave cylinder.

The thing with uprated clutches is you usually need to change the flywheel to a single mass instead of the standard dual mass, this gives you vibrations when the car is ticking over, i really didnt want this so stayed standard.

I paid £550 for the whole lot fitted using genuine parts from Midland VW in Cannock
    Audi main dealers wanted in the region of £900 for the same thing...
  4. s3ollie

s3ollie Member

[Mar 18, 2008]
    thanks for the input. I'll just get a standard one. hope i don't end up in the same situation after a year or so...
  5. ash_s3

ash_s3 Active Member

[Mar 18, 2008]
    I dont think you will mate, your car has already done 70,000 miles and i bet a few of them wernt driving slow!
  6. HTC

HTC Active Member

[Mar 18, 2008]
    My personal view is that if it has slipped once, it might again. Seems a bit of a lottery and I've seen lower milage cars with issues.

I'd go for an uprated item while you are in there.