1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clutch slave cylinder or master cylinder ?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by ColinS, Jun 16, 2008.

1. ColinS

ColinS New Member

[Jun 16, 2008]
    Hi people ,

I own a 2003 1.8t quattro. The car has recently developed a problem with the clutch. I have a had a read through some of the threads and it sounds like it is quite a commom problem.

The clutch sometimes seems to loose pressure meaning that I need to push the pedal all the way to the floor and it still seems as if it is not fully engaged as it is difficult to select gears. The pedal will also not return properly from time to time and I need to pull it back up with my foot.

If i pump the pedal a few times it builds the pressure back up and it is ok for a while.

I have had a look under the car and it seems pretty dry ie no fluid leaking out from the gearbox and the fluid in the reservoir is at the correct level.

Do you think it is the slave cylinder ? . . . .

I dont fancy taking the gearbox off !!
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 18, 2014]

3. danotto

danotto VAG HUNTER

[Jun 16, 2008]
    sounds like slave cylinder or master cylinder,master cylinder is under the clutch pedal,so not too bad to change,if not try and bleed the clutch as it is hydraulic.maybe a seal or something has perished and is allowing air into the system.Just a thought.
  4. ColinS

ColinS New Member

[Aug 3, 2008]
    Thanks for your reply Danotto.

After bleeding clutch several times and replacing master cylinder it felt better.

I have just returned from holiday so the car has been sitting idle for 2 weeks and has no clutch at all !!

I have tried bleeding it but the fluid is full of bubbles and I am getting no where with it !!

Please someone help !
  5. rickparmar

rickparmar va va voom

[Aug 3, 2008]
    Happened to me, i changed the master cylinder didnt fix the problem, so changed the slave cylinder,

I have a huge feeling that your slave cylinder is gone
  6. ColinS

ColinS New Member

[Aug 3, 2008]
    So have I :-(

Did you replace the clutch and flywheel when you had the slave cylinder replaced ?
  7. rickparmar

rickparmar va va voom

[Aug 3, 2008]
    :3sadwalk:
    Yup just made sense to do that as well,

spent total about £800ish i think or less
  8. ColinS

ColinS New Member

[Aug 3, 2008]
    Thanks for your reply

So its gearbox off time now.
  9. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Aug 3, 2008]
    I take it you cannot change the slave with the gearbox in place on the A3 then?
  10. evotista

evotista Member

[Aug 5, 2008]
    UNfortuately not...on an 8L A3 to change the slave cylinder (which also encompasses the clutch release bearing) its a full front suspension subframe drop and gearbox out job...put it all back together and then full susp realignment recommended. Typically minimum of 5ish hours labour...could be up to 7ish hours...therefore easily 500+ quid even at an independent...never mind an Audi stealer.
  11. Ian W

Ian W Active Member

[Aug 5, 2008]
    Sounds like what happend to mine, my clutch pedal started dropping to the floor, a week later I had no pedal at all !

As people have said its basically a full box off / new slave cylinder / clutch / flywheel job
  12. h100vw

h100vw Member

[Aug 5, 2008]
    Not quite right.

The slave cylinder is on the outside of the box on an A3. The S3 has the slave cylinder is on the inside of the bell housing.

Gavin
  13. PW-Motorsport

PW-Motorsport Member

[Aug 6, 2008]
    I had a similar fault on a customers car.
    After many parts changed, turned out to be the connecting piece with the bleed nipple, just before the slave cylinder. It was leaking allowing air into the system.
  14. leon13

leon13 New Member

[Jan 21, 2012]
    My S3 8L has just emptied the clutch fluid all over the road.

I'm yet to be able to take a look underneath, but has anyone had such a dramatic emptying before?
  15. ttaalliibb

ttaalliibb New Member

[Feb 9, 2013]
    HI I have the same problem. no clutch at all... I found no leak on the pipes and after a dip search i found leak on slave cylinder. but I was not a 100% sure until I drive it and I fount that clutch plate spin.
    that mean that dot 4 is inside the clutch<slave cylinder leak> I need to take gearbox out and replace clutch plate and rest parts. also I will put a lightened fly wheel to increase torque.
    this is my advice for you ColicS :)
    thanks