1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clutch position sensor??

S3 Paul Oct 26, 2011

1. S3 Paul

S3 Paul Well-Known Member Regional Rep

My 2001 S3 has developed the usual rev increase when i put the clutch down to change gear.
    Kind of like ive not backed off the gas quick enough.
    I seem to think ive heard/ read about this being a switch on the clutch pedal?
    Does anybody know if this is right? And idealy the actual name or part number of the part / parts needed.
    Chears

2. richieb138

richieb138 Member

This ones a bit of a funny one. Some people seem to report that changing the switch doesn't help, other people think it's supposed to happen on these engines, so i'm not sure??

When I had mine changed it helped a bit, but the 'problem' was still there. It seems to be pretty bad now a year on - might have to have a look at it again....

Also, apparently you can replace the switch with a new one, but if it's not set right when you install it, you won't fix the problem

3. S3 Paul

My friend used to work for an audi tuner so i will intrust him with the job.
    I need to replace the brake pedal switch too so was looking to do both at the same time.

4. BENJAMIN

BENJAMIN Active Member

It's either a 'n249 mechanical malfunction' or 'clutch pedal switch implausible signal' that gives that over revving between gear changes. Give it a scan to see which one it is. Arguably best thing to do is put a new switch in and do the n249 bypass, problem solved! Lol.

5. S3 Paul

I fitted a bew N249 valve last winter , The car shows no fault codes.
    its just if i can stop it ... i would like to

6. BENJAMIN

BENJAMIN Active Member

Hmm bizarre, clutch switch is less than £10 from Gsf so probably worth a punt for that price!

7. S3 Paul

Ah, I was told they are dealer only?
    If they are only £10 its a no brainer.
    I would do the N249 bypass but couldnt find an easy guide for the AMK/BAM engine so decided... if it works dont break it.

8. BENJAMIN

BENJAMIN Active Member

Yeah that's what Gsf told me but I took it out and gave them the part number and they do actually do it as its actually a mk3 golf part.

N249 bypass on the amk/bam is the easiest one to do. Where abouts are you? I'd happily do the bypass for free if you were local.

9. S3 Paul

Im in sheffield but travel a little

10. BENJAMIN

BENJAMIN Active Member

I'm in Brighton! Lol. I'll post a pic of my delete tomorrow on this thread. It's very easy, you only need about half a metre of 3mm vac pipe.

11. S3 Paul

Benjamin...
    Did you get chance to take that picture????
    I would love to see if its as easy as you say, I will try it .