1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clutch Help

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by 4sprung, May 25, 2010.

1. 4sprung

4sprung New Member

[May 25, 2010]
    Hi Guys

I have an A3 1.8T (AGU) and the clutch broke a few weeks ago. I then purchased a copper clutch setup.
    The kit included a 6 button clutch, a pressure plate from an A4 1.8 and a flywheel from a 2.0 Beetle/Golf 4.

The car was sent to through to a mechanic. 1st issue was the starter. The pinion on the starter was not moving the fly as mine had 10teeth. I was told I needed a 9 tooth pinion. I got the starter modified to a 9 tooth pinion. Now the mechanic tells me the flywheel is too big and is touching the gearbox and is not turning.

This same kit was installed on the A3 1.8T (AUM) and is working fine.

I would like to know, am I wasting my time with this kit? Will it be able to work?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 16, 2014]

3. JD09

JD09 I'm not modding, I'm improving VCDS Map User

[May 25, 2010]
    I am not sure, but why have you purchased a kit not designed for your car would be my first worry . . . ?
  4. 4sprung

4sprung New Member

[May 25, 2010]
    I was desperate and needed the car working ASAP. Im really regretting my decision on buying that kit. Wasted my cash and need to try and get it working now. The guy I bought it from assured me it was going to work. :keule:
  5. JD09

[May 25, 2010]
    Bit difficult that then fella. I would honestly say cut your losses and sort it properly - going down the cheap as possible route usually ends in tears. But my mechanical knowledge is not the best. Tuffty or Leggy will be able to help/guide you I'm sure.
  6. 4sprung

4sprung New Member

[May 25, 2010]
    This damn kit was not cheap....which is even more sad. Thanks for the input buddy. I must say your S3 looks really good.
  7. JD09

[May 25, 2010]
    Cheers lad, feel for you, hope you get it sorted!