1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

clutch getting 'caught' before coming all the way up?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by a3oms, May 9, 2011.

1. a3oms

a3oms New Member

[May 9, 2011]
    hi all

i've go an issue with my clutch where when i first start using the car on a drive the clutch does not seem to come up all the way. it seems to like get caught then come all the way up. and it seem to be really light where its getting caught and when clutch is fully up.
    but once the car has warmed up the clutch is fine and there are no issues with it and all the spring is there.

i took it to a garage before who bled the clutch out. this fixed for the issue for about 3-4 weeks but now the problem has returned so think there might be something else.

is anyone able to advise on the issue?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. towcestervag

towcestervag Member VCDS Map User

[May 10, 2011]
    replace the pedal cylinder
    this is a known issue especially in cold weather
  4. S3BAM

S3BAM Member

[May 10, 2011]
    What model A3 do u have

Will be youre slave cylinder on its way out sadly if u have S3 its box out so may aswell do clutch at same time.
  5. a3oms

a3oms New Member

[May 11, 2011]
    heya

its an a3 quattro sport.

is the slave cylinder expensive to fix? also is it a long process? and the whole clutch is also expensive?
  6. Alex C

Alex C Well-Known Member

[May 11, 2011]
    Is it definitely the slave cylinder? Its expensive if you find it isn't the slave cylinder. Maybe it is maybe it isnt. Make sure you get your diagnosis correct before paying a garage to change you slave cylinder, clutch...
  7. a3oms

a3oms New Member

[May 12, 2011]
    well thats the thing i dont know. im just going by whats said above. it was bled out before but the issue returned. issue only seems to happen on a cold start. once i've been driving for 5-10 mins the clutch is fine no issues at all.
  8. a3oms

a3oms New Member

[Jun 2, 2011]
    well it got the point when one morning i could not get the car into any gear at all and the clutch was really low. i took it to a local garage and he replaced one of the springs. drove it home ok but the clutch only seems to come half way up and that seems to be its limit now and where it rose fully it it seems loose.
    so it is working but now only seem to have half its 'down' length than it did before and the other half i can move with my foot its really loose.

Can anyone advise on this?
  9. a3oms

a3oms New Member

[Jun 2, 2011]
    This is the spring that was replaced:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone know any idea what this part does? im not very wise in car mechanics so i wouldnt know :p