Clutch flywheel question

Timothy Portelli

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have a 1995 A4 B5 quattro with AEB engine. A couple of months ago i decided to launch the car and the clutch started slipping. the day after i tried to drive the car but with the clutch pressed the gears did not go in. hence i left the car siting in the garage. Now i have decided to pull the clutch out to replace since i have some free time but before doing so i have a couple of questions to ask.

I plan on fitting a light weight flywheel but after searching on the internet i could not find any supplier in EU. all i found are from USA. does any one know of any supplier with good prices in europe?

also from USA all lightweight flywheels found were listed for 1997 onward model. does this flywheel fit the first model and are there any mods required?

thanks

Tim

I wouldnt bother with going down the route of a lightweight flywheel, unless your car is extensively modified with a big turbo and big power beyond what the stock clutch can deal with, just buy and install a standard flywheel and clutch.

The USA didnt get the B5 before '97, hence why their listings start there. theres some minor changes, but worst case is you'd need some new flywheel bolts. Even replacement stock flywheels might still require different bolts though, they changed them half way thru production and i think the new replacement parts all use the later type bolts.