1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clutch advice please

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by S4DJB, May 28, 2011.

1. S4DJB

S4DJB New Member

Hi Guys
    Today, I have joined the world of Audi 'S' ownership with the purchase of my first B5 S4.
    I would have loved to have just been introduducing myself on the forum as a proud new owner, but unfortunately my purchase quickly became a nightmare.

I bought the car as a private sale this morning, drove for about 1 minute to get some fuel, and as I next went to depress the clutch to pull away it went pop!
    Hydraulic fluid went all over the BP forecourt whilst the brake / clutch fluid reservoir slowly emptied and the clutch pedal now just stays fully depressed with no spring back.
    When I first drove it, it seemed very hard to get it into gear, similar to when you try to select a gear with the clutch not fully depressed.

I guess that the clutch slave cylinder has broken, as did the AA guy, but I would like some advice from you guys before working out what to do.

I have changed a clutch before on a BMW but being RWD it was a lot easier. I doubt that the clutch is worn as it was replaced with an RS4 clutch not too long ago, but rather something is up with the clutch release bearing or slave cylinder.
    Apparently it is a centric (internal) slave cylinder so I know it will be a gearbox out job regardless.

So here are my questions:
    Have any of you done clutch work on an S4 with limited tools /no pit or garage space?
    What would you suspect has happened?
    Should I also put a new clutch in when getting it fixed (revert to standard clutch?)

Anyone near Sutton in Surrey (UK)?
    Thanks in advance guys and sorry to introduce myself under these circumstances!

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. S4 IRL

S4 IRL New Member

What horrible luck, new car and cant get to drive it, but believe me it will be well wort the hassle when you get it sorted, I would definitely check the pressure plate when you get it out, as far as friction disc and fly wheel they are the same on the S4 and Rs4. Just double check the feed pipe to the slave before you take the gear box out. Stick a post on audi srs, seems to be more S4 RS4 activity over there.

4. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!"
    Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

hmm, The slave cylinder on the 012 and 01A is external, i'd imagine the 01E will be the same. Parts catalog only seems to list one slave cylinder for all A4/S4/RS4 models.

As above, check the feed pipe but even if it IS the slave, you shouldnt need to remove the engine or box to change it.

5. S4DJB

S4DJB New Member

Guys thanks for getting back to me on this and thanks for the sympathy lol, I am sure you can appreciate the frustration of having an S4 sitting on the drive not being able to go anywhere!

Unfortunately it is a bank holiday tomorrow so it will be Tuesday before I can call through to a garage.
    Am I right in saying that the S4 gearbox is the 01E part code? I was told that the car may have had a recon RS4 box installed at some point, what would the part code be on this? I would have thought it would be a similar setup in terms of clutch / fitment etc
    I guess the big factor in the price will be whether the slave cylinder IS easily accessible (assuming that is what is at fault here).

Anyone know for certain whether it is accessible without taking the box out?

6. aragorn

01E is the transmission type, all the 6 speed boxes from that era are 01E, including the RS4 box. The particular part number will vary between the models.

The slave should be accessible from underneath without too much trouble i would think. I've not looked though, and you may find you'll have to drop out the nearside downpipe for access. Either way the gearbox shouldnt need to come out.

7. S4DJB

S4DJB New Member

Any idea what might cause a slave cylinder to go pop and drop all the fluid?

8. aragorn

age probably!