1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

clunking when letting of brakes

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Danielson, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Danielson

Danielson Member

[Nov 19, 2006]
    ok people, heres the situation. ive had this clunk bang knock noise coming from the osf when traveling at low speed, say 10 mph brake and then when i let off the brake then the clunk bang knock noise happens, it def feels like something loose like the caliper, but its 100% not the brake caliper or the pads. all control arms and drop links have been replaced so that rules them out. im kinda stumped as i had two top class lotus car tech's look at it today! me and me mate. =) have pried on all balljoints and bushings with my trusty bar. any help/opinions more than welcome.
    Dan
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 20, 2014]

3. PhilR

PhilR One Ate Tea

[Nov 19, 2006]
    I had this happen before, it was the Cheapo discount centre pads moving around in the caliper, replaced them with greenstuffs and its been fine since. It tended to be when you reversed and broke with mine.
  4. Danielson

Danielson Member

[Nov 19, 2006]
    well the pads are jurid pars which i belive are oem ar as good, should also mention only happens going foward not in reverse. i just cant get my head around it, and cant fix the bloody thing as i cant find the problem.
  5. docurley

docurley Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Nov 19, 2006]
    check the caliper bolts and make sure the shims are fitted.
  6. Defratos

Defratos YouÂ’re Dethpicable!!

[Nov 20, 2006]
    I've got a smiliar problem, but with me the noise comes up when I'm driving slow and step on the break hardish, I hear it knucnk against something, this can't be the pads can it?
  7. PhilR

PhilR One Ate Tea

[Nov 20, 2006]
    On yours defratos it could be a really worn out upper link if they come off the rubber bush they clunk against the housing under braking, snoop has replaced his but it may be your problem

EDIt seems that you have an S3 so im wrong, unless its bottom wishbones ?
  8. ad3crk

ad3crk Member

[Nov 20, 2006]
    i have the same problem..and only seems to act up when its the first few mins of driving...looked at the pads..calipers and everything is intact..almost as if its only when the brakes system is cold...fwd brakes..it is odd but i stop when its needed so im dealing with the clunking sound in the top of the morning...:shrug:
  9. mwarrey

mwarrey Member

[Nov 20, 2006]
    I had this problem on mine, used to get a clunking noise when driving slowly over rough surfaces whilst applying the brakes. It turned out to be the lower "bent" arm. It is very difficult to detect any play in the front suspension when the car is jacked up. I also changed my front wishbone links as the early ball joint type wear out. (these are easy to detect play in).

I would suggest taking your car to a dealer and ask them to test drive and then ask their opinion. They must see loads of A4's with worn out suspension parts should be able to diagnose the part that needs changing. Most will not charge for this (mine didn't) and even if they do it could work out cheaper and less frustrating than changing the wrong parts.
  10. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Nov 20, 2006]
    Mine did this when the bottom balljoint went, hmmm but you have checked them, the pads moving in the caliper is usually a lighter sounding noise,rather than a clunk, in my experience anyway
  11. Danielson

Danielson Member

[Nov 20, 2006]
    i have replaced the rear arm thinking it was the culprit, but no, im going to play swap the brake pad on friday and see if the noise swaps sides. cant do **** sfter work coz its dark, fookin winter and german cars aye...