1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clunking/knocking noise when full lock...

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Jonesy, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

[Feb 10, 2012]
    Hi, just wondering if anyone has any ideas what the noise could be. Seems to make a strange clunking/knocking noise a couple of times whenever I have the steering on full lock in both directions. I can feel the knocking coming through the drivers footwell. It doesnt do it when turning normally, only full lock.

My last MOT was 6 months ago and I had an advisory for the top mounts being slightly worn. I've changed the droplinks and arb bushes recently too. Someone mentioned to me lower ball joints could be the issue?

Thanks guys,

Allan
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. Powelly

Powelly Member

[Feb 10, 2012]
    Could possibly be the cv joints, But as you say the top mounts came up as an advisory so they would be the first thing to check, Check there isn't a massive gap between the rubber and the strut body, And check for any excessive wear.
    Might be worth just replacing them to take them out of the equation, With the cv's, Check the boots for any splits etc
  4. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

[Feb 10, 2012]
    Cool, just gotta wait for the weather to get better Hopefully is just the top mounts, I already have a pair I bought a few months back, just need to get them fitted.
  5. Routledge

Routledge Wind Deflector Trend-setter

[Feb 11, 2012]
    Sounds like excessive play in the cv joints to me but could very well be the top
    mounts if they were an advisory previously.