1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clunking coming from steering column area

dickys3 Nov 28, 2010

1. dickys3

dickys3 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Hi Guys,

I'm getting a clunking noise when turning the steering wheel. This only happens when pulling off/parking etc (basically low speed).

I thought it was the rack at first, but the noise appears to be coming from inside the cabin. If I lower the wheel all the way to the lowest setting, the clunking stops, so its like the wheel is catching on something. As soon as I raise the wheel back up, the clunking comes back.

Any ideas?

Cheers
    Rich.

2. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

Ideally you need to remove the trim that hides the column & get a torch in there with someone turning the wheel back/forth whilst you check if its catching something at certain positions of the wheel set positioning.

This has only just happened I assume or new car & problem since purchase?

3. dickys3

dickys3 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Cheers mate. I'll have a dig around next weekend to see what is causing it!

I've had the car a while, but only recently adjusted the wheel position and then started noticing the clunk! I thought it was coming from he rack/suspension, but then lowered the wheel position and the problem went away. As soon as I raise the wheel again, it comes back.

4. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

Well as the steering column actually is 1 pole sitting within a tube effectively, then maybe its this thats loose inside the tube at certain heights, thats my analogy anyway :)