1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clunking and squeaking front suspension

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)' started by Alski2009, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Alski2009

Alski2009 Member

[Dec 28, 2010]
    Hello everyone,

My allroad 2.5tdi has started clunking and squeaking over speed bumps and has a strange stuttering effect from the N/S/F over badly surfaced roads. All the garages are closed till the New Year. The garage checked the bushes last week when it went in for a steam clean and the UV reactive dye put in the engine to trace the oil leak and found a few surface cracks on the rubber bushes (genuine Audi replacement parts fitted about a year ago).

Had Arnott Gen I front air springs fitted during October last year and hope the garage had tightened the control arm pinch bolts after pre-loading the suspension.

The steering wheel also squeaks a bit too. Anyone suffer from these issues? I just want it sorted so i can enjoy driving it. It has been lovely to drive in the snow.

Thanks in-advance.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 19, 2014]

3. meatychi

meatychi Member

[Dec 29, 2010]
    I had the clunking problem when I first got my motor - You might want to check your drop links!
  4. Alski2009

Alski2009 Member

[Dec 30, 2010]
    Thanks meatychi. I'm hoping to pop round to Adamss24 in the New Year for him to take a look. Hope it's just the drop links.
  5. ms1083

ms1083 Member

[Jan 1, 2011]
    Mine does the same, only able to hear it in the summer when the front windows are open and faint squeak going over bumps. have had a good look at everything and all seems fine but the joints on the front left drop link (anti rool bar connection link) had cracked - replaced that one myself squeaks much fainter but still squeaks, plan to change the right one soon as guess if 1 has gone other about to go as well and have a feeling it may be what is squeaking. Easy to check yourself, they can be seen with steering on full lock without removing wheels, "C" shaped links bottom front of suspesion apparatus. Also very easy to replace after removing wheel but need to put a jack under something firm so that the suspension is at the level it is at with wheel on ground otherwise there is a lot of pressure on the joint. Torque setting is 60Nm for the bolt to the anti-roll bar and 40Nm plus extra 90degree turn for the one connecting to the suspension. Be careful, there are 2 different sorts of connecting link the older ball joint one and the newer bonded rubber bush one (the one my car has - left & right ones are different)
  6. Alski2009

Alski2009 Member

[Feb 8, 2011]
    Thanks ms1083. I went round to see Adamss24 and he'd diagnosed a problem with the lower control arm bushes. They've started to perish which was making the knocking and clunking sound. The garage had only fitted them less than 10k miles ago, so going to go pay them a visit to see what the score is. I was charged Audi prices and seem to have garbage cheap knock-offs. Grrr.

Thanks Chris for being so generous with your time and letting me drive you A6. I'll be happy if i can get my car to feel 10% of how yours drives. Worried about my ABS controller problems. Did some research and the allroad may have the Bosch 5.0 / 5.2 where the controller is under the rear seat (CHEAP ABS Module Repair for Audi). I'm going to start a new thread.
  7. bredhurststeve

bredhurststeve Member

[Feb 8, 2011]
    looks like this could be my problem as it makes a clunking noise over any sort of bump now, i first thought it was a broken spring as i had on my a4 but springs are ok, can you get a kit that repairs all the bushes on the steering and suspention? A6 Avant 1.9 2004 done 110k now
  8. Alski2009

Alski2009 Member

[Feb 8, 2011]
    I've been told it's such a pain in the bum to replace the bushes that it's much easier to just replace the arms. Factor in £80 for a 4-wheel alignment each time you change a part in Audi's fancy multi-link suspension. Better to also do it in one go. I had spoken to someone at Awesome GTI about their polyurethane bushes. Woah. If it's for a regular A6 you should be ok with the standard parts. The allroad feature much beefier arms with a larger bush which cost around £190 each.

Tip from Chris. Turn the wheels out as far as you can go. Lie down on the ground and inspect the rubber bushes. If there's any cracking then you'll need to replace them soon. I've also experienced a slightly unnerving wobble in the steering wheel and front end as the suspension wiggles around with under the extreme forces. Hope you get it sorted soon.