clunk/knock when braking

205man

Reaction score
i just been out in the car and noticed that when i brake im getting a clunk/knocking noise from somewhere in the front i didnt notice it at first bnut after driving for 3/4 an hour it started it.

then the same when coming back didnt seem to do anything to start with but by the time i was almost home i noticed it again.

ive not been using my car this week as i lent it to my girlfriend, but she said she didnt notice it, but she does only live 15-20 mins away, and it was longer than that before i noticed it.

it obviously someting to do with discs/pads when the get hot but its never done it before and its annoying, and quite loud

ideas any one?

Most likely one of the suspension arms. If its under braking I would suspect the lower bent arm ball joint. Had the same problem on mine.

Yes, B5 front lower arms are notorious for wearing out bushes.

cheers guys ill have a look, im guessing if theres movement in them when i check then they are knackered

ive also got a clunk from the rear but much much quieter, and this happens when i accelerate and let off, could this be the same on the rear as there are similar lower arms at the back isnt there?

205man said:
cheers guys ill have a look, im guessing if theres movement in them when i check then they are knackered

ive also got a clunk from the rear but much much quieter, and this happens when i accelerate and let off, could this be the same on the rear as there are similar lower arms at the back isnt there?

Always best to give your car model, i.e quattro or FWD, when making an enquiry! You've probably done so in the past, but it's difficult to remember what every member drives!

£25 from murrays, fit it yourself