Clouds of white smoke !!!

ant schof

Reaction score
HI all ,
Looking for a bit of help , changed my thermostat yesterday not sure if its coincidence but now have have clouds of white / grey smoke from the exhaust heavier under load when driving than when stood at idle . Temp gauge reaches ninety now withing five minutes , no obvious signs of coolant loss and seems to drive fine , except for the smoke . I'm scratching my head as to what it could be , head gasket ? Blown turbo seals ? spring to mind . Also removed the inlet manifold and throttle body to give them a good clean up and installed an awesome 19mm catch can . Would be good to know what could be the best way forward . Its an 02 plate S3 BAM engine .

Any info would be good
Cheers Ant

Thanks Chippie , i did disconnect the hockey puck from the tip but it makes no difference ! Still loads of white smoke , coolant level seems stable so i'm starting to think it could be dreaded Turbo !! anyone had similar symptoms ??

Hi S3dave ,
Changed the stat because it was'nt getting up to temp on the dash . She's never overheated or lost coolant . Does use a fair amount of oil about 2.5 ltrs in ther last 8000 miles but don't think thats too excessive . I've also checked the throttle body inlet pipe and there is some oil in there , the throttle body was filthy as was the inlet mani before i stripped and cleaned it ! Anyway of proving its turbo over anything else ?

Oil residues are normal, if your not loosing coolant I am not sure what to suggest, maybe take the tip off and check the play in the turbo, white smoke suggests water?.
have you checked the level cold?
maybe a gas sniff test in the coolant?

HI S3feates ,
Yep its definitley white smoke and seems to get worse when warm or under load . I'm watching the coolant level like a hawk
still not convinced ! Going to try and get a coolant pressure and sniff test done tomorrow . Either way i guess the gead will have to come off . Not a chappy chappi at the moment !

Well if it is your be loosing coolant as that's the only water able to get into the engine.

I'd try an oil change then go for a drive, see if it clears bud

I've just removed the tip , lots of play up and down and in and out , also a a tespoon or so of oil by the turbine and at the lower of the tip . Looks like the turbo's shot , doh !! Anyone know best place to get one or am i better off getting it refurbed . Also can it be removed in situ on a ramp without taking the head off . All input appreciated ,

Ant

CR turbos do refurbs and also sell new units mate. I went through the same thing a month back. Mine was blue smoke though, burning oil.

IIRC, my new unit cost me about £820. As my old turbo was too bad to repair.

Thanks S3feats ,
I'll make some calls tomorrow maybe turbo technics too , did you go for another K04 and did you change it yourself ? head on or off is the question . what gaskets or associated parts will i need to get the job done ,

Cheers Ant

No idea pal I've had every gasket/seal done in last two months, I didn't do the work. Car was in my local indi garage as it was having piston rings, con rods, water pump cambelt.... The list goes on bud.

Pretty sure it can be taken off without head off. Probably alot easier with it off though.

Hi all ,
Bit of an update on my clouds of white smoke !!! Had the lads at work check it out for me today , and discovered the cause and solution to my problem . Last friday i fitted an awesome gti stealth catch can with 19mm fittings , as there were no specific guides for this can i followed the guides i'd read relating to fitting the saiko micchi can , i.e crank and rocker breather pipes to the top of the can and the vent to atmosphere or back to tip at the bottom outlet of the can . Be warned for the awesome can this does not work ! Maybe my own stupidity but what i'd done was cause excessive crank case pressure causing oil to pass the pistons and blow off as white/grey smoke . Disconnected the pipes from the can , swapped them round i.e cam and crank breathers to the lower outlet of the can and upper pipe to tip , problem solved ! no more white smoke and one relieved happy chappi again . We live and learn .

Thanks everyone for their help :)

Hi Dave ,
A big weight off my mind , lol . You're right though i will budget for a turbo in the future . In the mean time i'm going to enjoy a non smokey motor :)