CLOUDS OF BLACK!

vw754

vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
52 plate a4 tdi 130 sport throwing out heavy clouds of black smoke,so much it cant be driven! Vag-com shows no faults but does show egr is only showing 19.8% . When connected to another a4 it shows 59.9% so i take it egr is failed? changed all filters etc, any other ideas'?

Have you tried diagnosing by unplugging the vacuum line to the top of the EGR?

Neil_S said:
Have you tried diagnosing by unplugging the vacuum line to the top of the EGR?

Problem is that when you start hitting a few tens of thousands of miles the EGR valve get's that caked up with crap (along with all the inlet manifolds) that it usualy sticks full open when warm and never closes properly anyway so disconecting will make no difference!

vw754 said:
52 plate a4 tdi 130 sport throwing out heavy clouds of black smoke,so much it cant be driven! Vag-com shows no faults but does show egr is only showing 19.8% . When connected to another a4 it shows 59.9% so i take it egr is failed? changed all filters etc, any other ideas'?

Its sounds like you have a boost leak somewhere either coming from the small vacuum pipes too and from the n75 to turbo or pump.........but i would first look for a break in one of the intercooler pipes for a slit or a hose that has popped off.

Did this on my mk3 golf when i upped the boost and did it a futher million times when i upgraded the turbo x2.

F me this site/forum is slow...........i hope your cars perform better than than this.......maybe not!!

Thanks all for your help,car is now sorted.
It was the egr solenoid valve.

Turkster said:
sounds like your internet connection could do with an oild change mate, the site works fine for me, :jester:

Yeah right............thats why it takes people a couple of weeks to answer a question around here if your lucky that is.....and you get left in the :cold: .