1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clogged inlet manifold?

Discussion in 'Diesel forum' started by Layerz, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Layerz

Layerz Member

[Apr 22, 2007]
    As per my other post my car is loosing power somewhere and I am trying to track it down.

Can the inlet manifold on the turbo being clogged affect performance by say upto or more then 10bhp?

I got access to the top earlier and got alot of soot / **** out of it however taking the whole manifold off looks a bit laboroued and I will need a good 1/2 day or more to take it off and properly clean it. I just want to know if this would help me recover some power.

There was about 5mm-10mm thick in **** at some points but it is now clean at the end where the intercooler pipes and egr go into.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 18, 2014]

3. james0808

james0808 Active Member

4. james0808

james0808 Active Member

[Apr 22, 2007]
  5. Layerz

Layerz Member

[Apr 22, 2007]
    It is a a4 tdi 98 110bhp (pah) it is an afn engine so non PD.

And awfull english frm me above.

It is a bugger to get off as you got to use allen keys to do so, and that means taking other bits off so I want a good day to do it.

The mini clean from earlier seems to help a lil bit.
  6. banny

banny Member

[Apr 23, 2007]
    Its pretty easy to do, I did my AFN manifold/EGR last year and it does make a difference, you should buy some new gasket for EGR though.
  7. Layerz

Layerz Member

[Apr 23, 2007]
    Right the bugger is coming off at some point as I don't know if it was just in my head but the pick up was much better earlier in 3rd and 4th.

Edit: I should add I only removed a small part on the top of the inlet manifold and cleaned it and that is how I have felt a difference.

Banny how much of a difference did you notice?
  8. banny

banny Member

[Apr 23, 2007]
    Yeah quite abit, especially the EGR part
  9. Nessy

Nessy VW + Audi mad

[Jul 15, 2007]
    I did this job recently as my car has just passed the 140k mark and I wasn't too sure what I'd find; car was going OK, just with all the tales of clogged manifolds thought it wouldn't do any harm to check.............
    Took a few hours going very slowly and found almost no crud at all, a tiny bit of sooty gunge in the manifold (which got a good clean) but EGR valve clean as a whistle.
    A bit disappointed not to find a load of muck to be honest, but at least I know all is OK there now................