Climate Unit

edition

Reaction score
Hi,

Thought some of you might be interested in this.

When i fitted sat nav. i had to do a single to double din conv. and instead of doing what most people do i got a double din climate unit instead of cutting the single din one down.

When I got the Sat. Nav. Vagcom'd (cheers S3JOHN) we noticed that there was an error somewhere with a heater motor. Now when i did this is was winter and the heater and everything seemed fine so i thought I would leave it.

Today I tried to put the air-con on and heat to LOW, now i got alot of noise (like the fan working hard) but nothing coming out of the vents (like the motor had blocked off the outlets). When i clicked econ the air came through.

Got home and tried the old unit and everything worked.....

Instead of cutting the old unit to size i thought i would take the front off the new unit and put it on the old unit. They split in half so i put the front of the double din unit on the single din back. Plugged it back in teh car and nothing (not lights or anything lol)

In the end i took in to bits more and put all the gubbins in the double din unit and hey presto it works!!!!!

Bit of a pointless post but thought i would let people know there might be a issue with just simply putting a different unit in there car.... (although maybe my new unit was faulty....)

Cheers,

Yeah same principle as the concert head unit had ages ago on my S3, also found out on a climate last year by swapping fronts/backs didnt work so did as you did & swapped insides over cause my DD was german & it didnt have the auto both side switching, lucky internals were same, guess they match up the front pcb with rear via coded chips.

Yeah the chips inside the units were different..... I'm guessing thats why it had its querks when linked to my car.....

Nice when things work out though!!!

Didn't know if i had damaged both bits when i put half and half in the car and it didn't work!

just out of interest
i will be doing the conversion soon single to double,

in what way do you have to trim the climate control unit down?

thx

Cut it in half, then it'll fit :undwech:

Yeah, just trims the sides down mate thats all, of course at a slight angle.

Sorry couldnt resist, lol