Climate Control Removal Help Request

Bolly

Reaction score
Hi guys

A quick 30 mins job took me three + hours yesterday and I still haven't got what I wanted so I thought you could help.

A3 1.8T 2003 is the car. It has a double din Audi Symphony Radio (which was a ball ache to take out!) and the climate control sits underneath. There is no storage compartment.

First thing was, despite remove the stereo, I could not for the life of me remove the stereo. I know there are two spring loaded springs top and bottom, but I could not move it in any direction that would allow me to take the unit out. I was stuck firm. No movement what so ever. Almost like there was a screw holding it in place. Weird... Is there another way to remove the unit. Does the ashtray need to me removed perhaps? I could not see how... Any tips?

Secondly, and the most annoying thing...the part numbers match up, but the replacement is a definite different shade of black. Almost has a different feel. All I can see different is what I think is the manufacture year. 2001 vs 2002. Is that correct? If I make the change the replacement won't be a perfect match. Then it is a case of what is worse, worn buttons or different shades of black?

I have looked though the forum searches and all I keep getting is 'pull the unit'. I got nowhere with this method.

Thanks

Bolly

Are you using the correct removal keys? you will need 4 of them and they need to be pushed in a way until it 'clicks' into place... you may need to jiggle them a little to get the catches to release and it sometimes helps to push the unit in to the console a bit to help them release

<tuffty/>

@ Tuffy - Are there special keys to remove the climate control unit? I thought it had little spring loaded clips that needed nudging.

Any links to the tool?

Anyone one come across the different shades of black concerns?

Regards - Bolly

once you have the stereo out try and get your whole hand behind the HVAC unit and pull REALLY HARD! there are 4 gold tension springs that hold it into the bracket.

if you have a small screwdriver you can push them in from behind to help release some tension - then again - pull hard.

try wiggle it from side to side too.