1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Climate control/radiator fan

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Pipsqueak, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Pipsqueak

Pipsqueak Member

Anyone know anything about radiator fans. I noticed today my fans were on. The car was warmed up but it wasn't hot weather or stuck in traffic. The only difference from normal was I was driving around with the climate control turned off. The reason I ask is I think it's the first time I've noticed the fans or more specifically heard them in any weather. Have had a smell of coolant coming from the car for a year or so but I'm not losing any coolant from the radiator top up tank and never had to top up. The air con isn't the coldest when it's on. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. wallace78

wallace78 Member

im the same but iv noticed iv a belt missing from the front pully so im thinking this has snapped at one point !!!

4. audicruiser

audicruiser Audi Heaven

Sounds like your fan assembly has had it. When they fail the fans just run fast in a fail safe mode. It's a common fault on the A3 and Golfs etc and lots of threads on here about it. About £300 to replace.

5. audicruiser

audicruiser Audi Heaven

No belts drive the fans.... They are electric!

6. Pipsqueak

Pipsqueak Member

I was had read that when I googled it but was hoping for another possible cause.Think I'll call the AA. I've got that repair insurance with them where they pay the first £500 of any repair bill as long as their mechanic sees it before it goes to the garage. Cheers for taking the time to post

7. audicruiser

audicruiser Audi Heaven

No problem, hope you get it sorted :icon_thumright: