Climate control help

Legend7

Reaction score
6 months ago I noticed the tempreture on the driver side wasnt working correctly. It was blowing out cold air even when set to 24C. To get it to blow warm air I had to set to very high like 28C or high even then it felt like it was trying to set temp to around 22C.

The same thing has now started on the passenger side also. Car is 59, 5 door diesel.

Can someone help, with winter coming up I need to get it sorted.

A lot of possibilities but it could be a faulty interior temperature sensor or a blend door actuator. Its very odd if you aren't getting any error codes though. If you have access to vcds you should check the temp sensor readings if they are giving inaccurate data

:concern:I got some readings taken yesterday. Not sure if they are good or bad

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    411.3 KB · Views: 245
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    628.4 KB · Views: 182
:concern:I got some readings taken yesterday. Not sure if they are good or bad
Got any readings from the climate control unit's inside temp sensors? Also are those with the car running or just powered on? Everything seems normal except the -270C of the egr temp sensor but I assume it has egr/dpf delete?

The temp. readings you show are not the data for the internal cabin. If no electrical faults are showing up then I would be checking coolant flow. First I would run the engine to normal temperature and feel the pipes from the engine to the heater matrix in the engine bay, should be hot, then I would get access to the heater matrix and feel or measure the temperature with the engine running and fully warmed up, it should be hot to the touch. That way you'll know if coolant is flowing around the system as it should.
Does the heater fan work at all speeds when set to manual? you can hear the fan speed up if you listen closely and control it manually by the + & - buttons

http://ww
204.jpg

do you know what the "Climate control inside temp" will be labelled as in VAGCOM as there was loads of readings you could check but these ones were related to temp.

@Soot1 yes the fans work at all speeds. Is the heater matrix behind the glove compartment?

I don't use vcds so no idea there. The heater, fan motor and aircon controls are behind the glove box but I've never taken a heater matrix out of an Audi, Google it or search on Youtube should help. You can see the flap motors operating orange cogs when you adjust the heat direction switches, might give you a clue what's going on down there.
It's not hard to remove the glovebox, about 7 Torx screws one of which is hidden inside the dash endplate and you should remove this one first (save breaking the mounting) also it is not the first one you see when taking the end plate off, it's hidden but accessable.

One other thing to check is the thermostat, the whole engine may not be getting to the right temperature.

do you know what the "Climate control inside temp" will be labelled as in VAGCOM as there was loads of readings you could check but these ones were related to temp.

I can't remember off the top of my head but Ill try to check when I have the time. I do believe that it was just int. temp or something similar in the HVAC though. The audi I worked on was slightly older so I'm not sure if it has changed but I doubt it.

Check Auto HVAC -> measuring blocks and groups 9-11. See if the dash panel temp and the ambient temp just about match the real temp inside and outside the car. If they do then you can pretty much rule out the temp sensors being faulty and it will be something else that is causing it

Attachments

• 5cf9980b762b553740a5ed5ed0226720.png
    5cf9980b762b553740a5ed5ed0226720.png
    445.2 KB · Views: 155
Thank you jnsio

The dash panel and ambient sensor seems fine and go up and down according to temp in car.

However if you look at the picture there is a 30deg diff between left outlet blower and right outlet blower. The right side blowers are the problem which are blowing cold air when set to warm.

Thoughts ?

Thank you jnsio

The dash panel and ambient sensor seems fine and go up and down according to temp in car.

However if you look at the picture there is a 30deg diff between left outlet blower and right outlet blower. The right side blowers are the problem which are blowing cold air when set to warm.

Thoughts ?

What were the temps on each side? Definitely sounds like there might be something wrong with the blender unit. Do both sides have similar air flow or does it feel weaker on either side?

The air flow seems the same. Any thoughts?

Hmm that temp reading sure does seem pretty odd. However if the air flow is fine its not very likely that the blower is faulty. All of the symptoms you are experiencing would point to the blender unit being faulty.
I would suggest starting with that since it's a fairly common failure point.

A faulty head unit could technically cause fairly similar symptoms but it is very rare for them to fail and they would most likely show other symptoms too so I doubt that it would be the cause of your problems.

could someone tell me where this part is located as I want to replace this week

Also is this the same as flap motor? as some forums have mentioned replacing that?

could someone tell me where this part is located as I want to replace this week

Also is this the same as flap motor? as some forums have mentioned replacing that?

Sorry for the late reply, working long days since it's starting to get cold here and the heater repair season has started :witless:

Yep that's the same thing. It should be located behind the glove box. I'm guessing it will be about £80-100 for the part.

Reactions: Legend7
haha work comes first :)

do you know if the A3 2003-2008 part would fit the facelift 2008 - onwards

Not sure, probably does since I doubt they changed it too much but you should ring up audi to confirm

Audi dealer :whip:

refusing to give out part numbers. What a load of rubbish that is. £130 part ****** ridiculous

If i took out the glove box would I be able to tell which one is the one I need to replace as apparently there around around 3 motors there?

Last edited:
Audi dealer :whip:

refusing to give out part numbers. What a load of rubbish that is. £130 part ****** ridiculous

If i took out the glove box would I be able to tell which one is the one I need to replace as apparently there around around 3 motors there?
Haha I guess they are as bad in the UK as they are here :witless: Again, sorry for the late reply but I've been very busy lately. But yes, if you just follow the tubing that goes to the air vent that is blowing cold air you should be able to locate it. It might require a bit of work tearing apart behind the glove box but it should be fairly simple.

So I had some time over the weekend to take out the glove box and manage to get to the motors. I found 3 motors: one controlling the blower, second controlling the windscreen blower and the final one which turned on when normal heating was selected for face or feet.

So i replaced the final one and its seem like the issue remains. All 3 motors seem to work as they turn when the climate is turned on in some setting.

This is now kind of winding me up.

Any ideas anyone ??

So I had some time over the weekend to take out the glove box and manage to get to the motors. I found 3 motors: one controlling the blower, second controlling the windscreen blower and the final one which turned on when normal heating was selected for face or feet.

So i replaced the final one and its seem like the issue remains. All 3 motors seem to work as they turn when the climate is turned on in some setting.

This is now kind of winding me up.

Any ideas anyone ??

Still exactly the same after replacing the motor?
The only other thing I can think of that might be able to cause those symptoms without any fault codes would be the head unit but that's just a guess. Very hard to say without actually seeing it.

Yes exactly the same. How do I go about doing that in VCDS?

Also i read on about post that there are some motors behind the drivers side dash would there be any there that would affect the tempreture on the driver side