Climate control clunking?

dik

Reaction score
anyone know why the heater/fan/assembly might make clunking noises when being used (on all settings) and not the noises it can make when changing direction, etc..

Sounds like a ticking clock but deeper

Its v. annoying!

Cheers all

sounds like a flap sensor that has gone. Have you replaced the climate control unit recently? If so were the flaps set to a "reference" position?

dunno other than that. If you do have a sensor problem, it will (should) show up in vag-com.

THe problem has now gotten worse such that it is continually making grinding noises, even when you press the OFF button.

Its basically driving me NUTS.

anyone know anything about the blower/distribution system (i'd like to check it out myself first) as Audi are gonna skin me for it surely?

Cheers

Dik

hmm, dont know, but this may be wroth checking....

in the front of the facia, theres a little vent that draws in air from the cabin. This is used to take the cabin air temperature. linked to this vent, near the climate unit, is a fan is used to suck air into the sensor fro mthis vent.

When fitting a stereo once, I powered it on when it was outside the dash (ignition on).... as you know, after about 5 seconds the climate kicks in with the ignition switch on. As i wasn't planning to unplug the stereo again, i didn't turn the ignition off, just stuffed the wires in, and pushed the stereo in.

About halfway through putting the stereo back in the din slot, i hear what i though was a loud shorting noise, and sh@t myselft, thinking i had pulled loose a connection somewhere.

anyway, the real point of all that, was that I discovered i had stuffed the wires back too far, and one had got caught in the fan described above. I'd imagine that if i'd kept on pushing, it would have sounded like the sound you have described.

My A3 (8P) does exactly the same.
It's in for it's 2nd service a week on Monday (31st) and i'm getting them to look at this issue then - i'll let you know what they come back with.

its a faulty flap control motor, 68 quid for a nw one plus 2 hours labour overall 220 quid ish /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif maybe i`ll change it myself.

do you know which one needs replacing? some are a complete bastiche to replace.

yep, I have rung the main dealer who identified the fault and they said the part number is

1J 290 75 11 A
Air Flow Flap Positioning Motor.

Wish me luck - I`ve just bought the part for 70+v and I`m going in.

I`m trying to get some printouts off ETKA and ELSA to assist me in my task.

Dik

Aww.... HTC - thank you SO MUCH..

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

That even looks easy too.. did that come from ELSA?

Cheers mate..

Dik

Well, car got it's second service, and as expected, my a/c "clunking noise" reported at the time was replied as "checked & cannot hear fault" - as soon as i started the car up to leave it's there doing it - feckers! so went back in and asked a tech that has some EARS to come back out - dealer diagnosed the same, but were totally uninterested in commiting to fix the issue - said there's quite a few "flap motors" behind the dash, and it would take them quite a bit of investigation to find which one was the culprit. I'm reluctant to get it sorted, fearing i'll end up with even more rattles & squeaks than i already have...I mean, if they can't bolt the fuel filter back together after replacing the element, and thus having the car deposit a third of it's tank of diesel over the engine, front tyre, and forecourt (and i discover this after 1/2 mile from the dealer, approaching a r/bt at 35mph and suddenly the car veers and almost loses control), what confidence have i got in them replacing my dash back together squeak-free?
Apparently it's a major thing with A4's (take it they must've been referring to B6's).

When I change it (this week hopefully) i`ll take some pics and scale it from Nursery School level to NASA Astronaut.

It does look easy (famous last words!!)

Dik

expect it to look a bit like this.

Image060.jpg

done! next...

took me about an 1hr 45 mins to sort it out and that was includin figuring out where things go..

and audi wanted 2 hours @ an extortionate rate.

what is it with german cars and plastic motor splines?

If anyone wants any details just pm me.