1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Climate Control - Auto Mode Question

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by B79MJW, Apr 8, 2014.

1. B79MJW

B79MJW Member

[Apr 8, 2014]
    Hi All

Quick Q...

Can others please check there systems for me.

My B6 When on Auto mode with warm engine at 90 degrees it never seems to chuck out cold air to the footwells. so for instance at 18.5 on full auto the wind and face level vents chuck out cold air nothing from footwell vents; however on manual all works as it should and on extremes lowest and highest it does.

My question is do the footwell vents get bypassed for some reason in auto mode for cold air - as the temp gets higher warm air does comes out on auto just not cool; but flaps must be wiring as manual selects.

What do yours do?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 1, 2014]

3. Mike.M

Mike.M Well-Known Member

[Apr 8, 2014]
    The CC system is monitoring the temperature all over the car and puts it where it needs it for climate control, where manual just blasts it out and calms down when the average temp reaches the requested setting.

You also have to remember that heat rises so your feet area will be cooler by default.
  4. B79MJW

B79MJW Member

[Apr 8, 2014]
    Yeah; cheers; Even when it was 18 degrees outside at weekend and climate at 16 i still got no cool air on feet area; but freezing cold to window and face vents... but as you say may be by default as hot air rises. to be honest auto mode HVAC seems to have a mind of its own. No faults on VCDS; its one of those where thou keep wondering is it broke or not - I hate having little issues.

My main concern was as the feet vents also feed the rear foot vents its not cooling the rear cabin from the rear facing under front seat vents...

Cheers for reply.
  5. Mike.M

Mike.M Well-Known Member

[Apr 8, 2014]
    If you have VCDS then you can plug in to diagnostics and check the temp sensors are working ok.
  6. Mike.M

Mike.M Well-Known Member

[Apr 8, 2014]
    If you have VCDS then you can plug in to diagnostics and check the temp sensors are working ok in the measuring blocks area
  7. madmike01uk

madmike01uk Member

[Apr 8, 2014]
    mine does the same mate
    B79MJW likes this.
  8. B79MJW

B79MJW Member

[Apr 8, 2014]
    Does the B6 only have temp sensors in the climate unit and in centre of windscreen?
  9. B79MJW

B79MJW Member

[Apr 8, 2014]
    Thanks mad mike; Must be something in the Auto HVAC software parameters to cool cabin not footwell.

The temps in VCDS looked fine and no faults. If it happens in others it must be by design lol.

Cheers
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  10. Mike.M

Mike.M Well-Known Member

[Apr 8, 2014]
    It's down to the way it monitors the temps as mentioned and where it want to put the air to maintain the temp set. Manual mode is just where you want the air
  11. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Apr 8, 2014]
    I think the B6 just has a poor and fairly inefficient HVAC system in honesty.
    ruffrida likes this.
  12. andy.l

andy.l Member

13. madmike01uk

madmike01uk Member

[Apr 8, 2014]
    I do like to have my feet cooled lol. I do tend to usual auto though on a warm day though. Might get mine re gassed this year
  14. GeoffDunk

GeoffDunk Active Member

[Apr 9, 2014]
    All my cars, including current S4 are always on auto and usually on 21 all the time, all year round.

The HVAC systems are quite clever although this system is now 14 years old it works very well. A lot of development goes into many different areas of vehicles including the HVAC systems.

Let it do its thing and keep the cabin and the temp you request.

If you want cold feet, turn of auto, select lover vents and turn temp down, simple.

The only button I ever touch is "re-curc" when in traffic for obvious reasons.