1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CLIFFORD Car alarm (Turbo Timer thing)

A4Steve Jan 24, 2003

1. A4Steve

A4Steve Guest

Hi, i'm thinking of fitting a Clifford Concept 600 car alarm (its about £4-500).

But here's the good bit. Its got loads of cool functions and such.

Turbo timer - you basically can set it up so the car is alarmed but with the engine still running so you can get the turbo to cool down after a hard drive. You can set it to however many minutes you want i think.

Also there's a button you press which will start you car. So it can be a cold winters morning, and you need to go to work - so you start your car from inside the house and it heats up\de ices already for you - how smart is that? Also good for playing a few jokes i reckon!
    Just need to remember to keep it parked in Nutral!!

Anyone fitted a similar system? Any problems with it?

2. DavidR

DavidR Active Member

To be honest i have never really found it necessary unless I have piled into a motorway service station from a 110mph+ cruise.

In normal driving with an unmodified car, the turbo is small enough to spin down to stop within seconds of coming to rest.

You can buy a dedicated turbo timer though fairly inexpensively.

3. Doug_RS2

Doug_RS2 Member

I don't think it's the timer for the turbo to stop spinning that is the issue - it's if you stop the engine after the turbo has had a good workout and the oil stops getting pumped round and the turbo cooks away reducing life.

I have the clifford remote start and I very rarely use it - it's only to show off. The clifford can be tuned a lot, it just takes a while to get everything working properly. I also have another 2 alarms in the car! I'm not looking forward to the day when it starts playing up.

4. DavidR

DavidR Active Member

Not sure about the aetiology of turbo damage, but I thought that it related to lack of oil pressure in the turbine bearings once the engine was stopped and not that the turbo gets hotter after a run. Given that they are designed to (and do at times) glow red hot, it is doubtful that so much heat is created in a stationary unit to cause damage. This issue has been raised before and the conclusion was that if this was a serious issue, Audi would have fitted a timer or aux oil pump to avoid extra warranty work.

Anyone know for sure??