Clicking noise when Turning right

STERLING VOID

Reaction score
So I noticed this noise yesterday and didn't think much of it as I thought that there might be a candy wrapper stuck to my tire that is making the noise. This morning when I got to work I noticed it again, mainly when I take sharp right turns in the parkade. Could it be that my CV joints is acting out already?? the car is barely 8 months old.

It might not be, but I had a CV joint go on an Astra and it made a clicking noise when turning. Have you checked around the wheel and tyre for anything stuck to it or in it?

Also check the CV boot for signs of grease or oil, it might have a cut in it. Failing that take it to the garage, it's still a new car and it might be under warranty.

Sounds likely to be a CV joint. Find a quiet car park and reverse on near full lock as that accentuates it. As it occurs when turning right then likely to be joint on near-side wheel.

Other options:
* Stone/nail in tyre
* CV joint bedding in as opposed to failing. Mercedes had something similar as they added PTFE to their CV joints to help the bedding in process and as that wore away, their new cars clicked for a while before settling. Don't know whether Audi have started doing something similar.

John.

Reactions: STERLING VOID
I'd demand they fix it under warranty if it has a problem, you shouldn't expect that kind of problem so early on!

Reactions: STERLING VOID
Sounds likely to be a CV joint. Find a quiet car park and reverse on near full lock as that accentuates it. As it occurs when turning right then likely to be joint on near-side wheel.

Other options:
* Stone/nail in tyre
* CV joint bedding in as opposed to failing. Mercedes had something similar as they added PTFE to their CV joints to help the bedding in process and as that wore away, their new cars clicked for a while before settling. Don't know whether Audi have started doing something similar.

John.

Yeah I am thinking it might be something less serious like a stone in the tyre, I went and tested with a mate of mine and did a few rounds in the underground parking, accelerating forward and turning sharp, didn't hear anything until the one point where I would come down to the last floor from the ramp and take the sharp right, but even than there wasn't much clicking noises.

Stones/nails in the tyre click once per wheel rotation. CV joints would click 4-6 times per wheel rotation.

It turned out that it was just a a little stone stuck in the thread of the tire :unsure:

Reactions: cemerson