1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clicking noise when Turning right

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by STERLING VOID, Feb 19, 2014.

1. STERLING VOID

STERLING VOID Member

So I noticed this noise yesterday and didn't think much of it as I thought that there might be a candy wrapper stuck to my tire that is making the noise. This morning when I got to work I noticed it again, mainly when I take sharp right turns in the parkade. Could it be that my CV joints is acting out already?? the car is barely 8 months old.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Phil-1

Phil-1 Well-Known Member
    Regional Rep

Sorry sounds like the CV joint.

4. STERLING VOID

STERLING VOID Member

Well if that is the case than I totally lost confidence in the brand, How can the CV go so quickly?

5. Phil-1

Phil-1 Well-Known Member
    Regional Rep

It might not be, but I had a CV joint go on an Astra and it made a clicking noise when turning. Have you checked around the wheel and tyre for anything stuck to it or in it?

Also check the CV boot for signs of grease or oil, it might have a cut in it. Failing that take it to the garage, it's still a new car and it might be under warranty.

6. JohnM100

JohnM100 #teamSepang
    Gold Supporter VCDS Map User

Sounds likely to be a CV joint. Find a quiet car park and reverse on near full lock as that accentuates it. As it occurs when turning right then likely to be joint on near-side wheel.

Other options:
    * Stone/nail in tyre
    * CV joint bedding in as opposed to failing. Mercedes had something similar as they added PTFE to their CV joints to help the bedding in process and as that wore away, their new cars clicked for a while before settling. Don't know whether Audi have started doing something similar.

John.

STERLING VOID likes this.
  7. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member

I'd demand they fix it under warranty if it has a problem, you shouldn't expect that kind of problem so early on!

STERLING VOID likes this.
  8. STERLING VOID

STERLING VOID Member

Yeah I am thinking it might be something less serious like a stone in the tyre, I went and tested with a mate of mine and did a few rounds in the underground parking, accelerating forward and turning sharp, didn't hear anything until the one point where I would come down to the last floor from the ramp and take the sharp right, but even than there wasn't much clicking noises.

9. JohnM100

JohnM100 #teamSepang
    Gold Supporter VCDS Map User

Stones/nails in the tyre click once per wheel rotation. CV joints would click 4-6 times per wheel rotation.

10. madrussa

madrussa Member

Indicators? :p

STERLING VOID, Phil-1 and PilotAudi like this.
  11. STERLING VOID

STERLING VOID Member

It turned out that it was just a a little stone stuck in the thread of the tire :unsure:

cemerson likes this.
  12. robo1million

robo1million Active Member

Oh dear.... Red face time at the dealership...?

13. STERLING VOID

STERLING VOID Member

Luckily I didn't take it to the dealership, but yeah you guys helped me diagnose the problem. thanks guys.

Joetidman likes this.