1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

click/ticking noise?

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by markA4tdi, Aug 13, 2010.

1. markA4tdi

markA4tdi markA4tdi

[Aug 13, 2010]
    As title, I have just began to get a, what can only be described as a ticking/clicking noise from the OSF wheel area, it sounds like I have either a few stones stuck in tyre! (which I dont), I hope im wrong but does this sound like my cv or drive shaft is on its way out?? if it is this,how long do (approx) I have before I need to replace it? does the ticking noise get louder the closer it gets to knacking up altogether? any thing to check to confirm it could be the driveshaft? btw its a 1.9tdi (02) 127k miles, cheers mark
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 22, 2014]

3. scott b

scott b Active Member VCDS Map User

[Aug 13, 2010]
    is it worse when on full lock especialy turning left? if so defferently cv joint
  4. simon.m

simon.m Active Member

[Aug 13, 2010]
    id have to say the same sounds like a cv joint going as for how long it will last a day a mth or 6 mths it will just go id say get it change asap
    so not to damge it any more you have a few prices on the cv joint is around the £120.00 mark for a genuine one from tps or audi or you can get one from cat auto for £35 ish i no this as when i was on holiday last mine whent and my dad put the cheaper one on it and iv had no problems at all with it id normaly go for genuine parts my self but some times i dont think it matters
  5. markA4tdi

markA4tdi markA4tdi

[Aug 13, 2010]
    sounds like its a cv joint then, i havnt noticed the noise worse when on full lock, (will check this tomorrow) i only noticed it when i had the window down yesterday and pulled away and thought i must have something stuck in the tyre, but checked tyreand nothing, now im obsessed with the bloody noise! lol was the job easyish to do simon? or is it best to garage it, wonder how much audi would charge?
  6. simon.m

simon.m Active Member

[Aug 13, 2010]
    it was not a hard job from what im told as it was my dad that did it as i was away at the time im thinkinh you would be lucky to get change from £250 if audi do it
  7. markA4tdi

markA4tdi markA4tdi

[Aug 13, 2010]
    cheers simon, just checked on the joint price from ecp and its 36 quid, but ive read that the ticking goes on forever, apparently stay away from full lock and they will last and last, again read that if you takethe cv boot off, clean and regrease the ticking will go away,
    id be happy to do it myself but apparently you need a slide hammer to get it off the axle (driveshaft) and i dont have 1.
  8. simon.m

simon.m Active Member

[Aug 13, 2010]
    oh right well you can try clean it up but i can tell you for 100% my old man did not use a slide hammer to get it off
  9. markA4tdi

markA4tdi markA4tdi

[Aug 13, 2010]
    cheers simon, if the rain ever stops, i might attempt to grease first or go and see my local garage and see how much he will charge, im on a fortnights holiday now so dont fancy me knuckles wrapped in bandages! lol
  10. simon.m

simon.m Active Member

[Aug 13, 2010]
    been there ohhhhh so many times im sure your local garage will not charge you that much and one pointer is buy the part your self the guy next door to me just had me get him a new cv as the garage fitting it wantted £70 just for the part that cost 35 :)
  11. scott b

[Aug 13, 2010]
    if your going to the efort of greasing it, you might as well just fit a new one
  12. markA4tdi

markA4tdi markA4tdi

[Aug 14, 2010]
    ok so this morning i rang my local garage (non audi) and all in inc of vat fitting and cv joint £65 ,which i thought was a good price, BUT, i got in the car this morning and drove around about 10 miles and no clicking noise, nothing from start to end of journey! so found a few roundabouts as much full lock as i could, nothing! did a few 3 point turns in an industrial estate both full locks...nothing! WTF!
    so do you think its a intermittant cv joint on the way out? (does that happen with cv joints??,i thought once starting to knack they never get better?)
    cars booked in for tuesday, but its pointless renewing a part if it was ok in the first place! was thinking of telling him to renew the rear discs and pads, instead of cancelling the apppointment. what do you lads think?
  13. simon.m

simon.m Active Member

[Aug 14, 2010]
    well id think if it was going it would stay going but would not hurt to have them look at it just to be safe and for 65pounds its no biggy if it needs a new one
  14. scott b

[Aug 16, 2010]
    did the noise always happen striaght away?
  15. markA4tdi

markA4tdi markA4tdi

[Aug 19, 2010]
    Hi scott, yes the noise happened straight away, problem wasnt the cv joint after all, there was a small stone stuck between the back plate and disc creating the clicking noise, so that was the cheapest fix going! so i got my rear discs and pads replaced including fitting all in £100, well happywith that.