ClearMount - Import tax?

Ormesome

Reaction score
Good afternoon :)

Just wondering if anyone who has bought a ClearMounts mount has had to pay import tax when its arrived? Postman arrived with mine today and asked for 18euros. I paid £36 for the actual mount and then £6 for delivery and now what amounts to around £15 import tax. This mount has cost me £57!!! Incredible! It had better be worth it! Need to go to the local depot tomorrow as had no cash on me and post wouldn't take card....

Would love to know if something has gone wrong. if this is normal or has maybe it has been labelled wrongly hence why i have to pay import tax?

:)

Last edited:
I had this too when buying from ECS Tuning and CTS Turbo in the states - all fine then bang a week later an invoice for tax arrives in the post for £30-40 I guess it's dependant on what you've bought.

Also recently bought a camera tripod mount from Really Right Stuff in the U.S - this was even worse as they wouldn't deliver it without this tax payment and I'm usually at work when the UPS courier arrives - had to phone up customer services and pay by card then it turned up finally a few days later.

Last edited:
Reactions: pburv, azibux1 and Ormesome
All a bit hit and miss with import tax I think

Ordered a leather wallet from the US and was told by the seller I'd have to pay about £20-£22 I think in import tax... In the end it was delivered with DHL and they didn't ask for anything.

Reactions: pburv, Ormesome and Rob2k68
Rob, UPS are the biggest rip off artists alive. They charge a minimum of 15 quid for customs clearance paperwork regardless of cost of items for goods shipped to Canada and this does not include any duty charges. The best method for me is snail mail which often arrives with no charges for small low cost items up to 50 quid ($100.00)
Large items I would use Fedex, DHL or USPS (snail mail) but you are at the mercy of the shipper's shown carriers in most cases. If you see UPS on their website cart, send them an email or better phone them and ask for a quote with another carrier. USA based companies are very receptive to this.

Reactions: pburv, azibux1, Ormesome and 1 other person
If you order from anywhere in Europe there is no additional tax to pay.

Order from anywhere else in the world and you will be charged import tax and VAT on top of your purchase price, based on the declared value on the customs import form.

I've ordered a few parts from the USA, and it does seem a bit hit or miss on whether you get charged prior to delivery.

Last edited:
Reactions: pburv, azibux1, Ormesome and 1 other person
Rob, UPS are the biggest rip off artists alive. They charge a minimum of 15 quid for customs clearance paperwork regardless of cost of items for goods shipped to Canada and this does not include any duty charges. The best method for me is snail mail which often arrives with no charges for small low cost items up to 50 quid ($100.00)
Large items I would use Fedex, DHL or USPS (snail mail) but you are at the mercy of the shipper's shown carriers in most cases. If you see UPS on their website cart, send them an email or better phone them and ask for a quote with another carrier. USA based companies are very receptive to this.

Excellent advice - top bloke - thanks !!!

Reactions: pburv
I ordered mine direct from clear mounts..paid via PayPal and a week later it came through the post..no hassle..
I know this doesn't help but shows how sporadic the post can be.

Well worth it though, I had the swivel assell

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
Is always hit and miss on whether you get caught for import tax. I am waiting for my Clear mount which I ordered just over a week ago and was sent by standard airmail (15-20 days delivery)

Recently got done for £30 import tax on some Lego copy from China via Ali express but also had other stuff including Audi puddle lights get through

Have never had to pay import tax on anything. this is my 1st time. I thought there was a way around it like labelling it as a present or something? maybe six? Anyway, went to the post office and paid the tax, installed the Clearmout and I'm very happy. great phone holder. for sure the best out there. But £57 in total for a phone holder is just too much really.

I think labelling it as gift works, but that's technically dodgy on the retailers half... So they don't care if you have to pay tax, so they declare it correctly from their end

Mine arrived today and with no import tax to pay :)

Still pretty expensive for a thin piece of machined aluminium and a magnet

Reactions: azibux1 and Ormesome