Cleaning throttle body

toathus

Reaction score
Hi has anyone cleaned their throttle body out before?

Think this could be the cause of my ill running AUM

Last edited:
I cleaned mine once before after the revs started hunting on idle. Made quite a big difference and the car felt much smother after that.

To be fair I cleaned the MAF at the same time and that could have added to the improved smoothness of the engine.

I've cleaned the MAF before and that helped a rough idle, but now if I rag the car then it will hunt at idle for a while after. Possible vac leak, but maybe worth cleaning the TB - let us know how it goes OP.

What are the symptoms?

Basically the car is hunting slightly on idle. It's also feeling rough as I accelerate especially in first and second gear.

I'll hopefully get time this afternoon to have a go at cleaning the TB - will report back with my findings..

May be an idea to clean the MAF as suggested. Any write ups on how to do the MAF? Don't even know where abouts it resides

If you have VCDS or know someone who has, run the throttle adaptation (060?) on it after cleaning the throttle body. Whilst your at it, have a look at the metal plate where the dipstick is, underneath it is a whole multitude of vac hoses, known to break down and leak - this also causes hunting on idle. Lastly, check the breather hose on the rocker cover as they perish too. That 'should' sort your probs out...

More info on VCDS Throttle Body Adaptation here: Ross-Tech: VAG-COM: 1.8T VAG-COM Info 

May be an idea to clean the MAF as suggested. Any write ups on how to do the MAF? Don't even know where abouts it resides

Remove your airbox and the MAF is the sensor connected to it. You can remove the full cylindrical unit pretty easy and spray MAF cleaner into it like I did. To romove the actual sensor you need a special tamper-proof torx bit which I dont have. Its prob best to invest in some CRC MAF cleaner as its the safe option, DONT use carb cleaner or any other spray or you may kill your MAF completly.

Just to give you guys an update on how i got on with cleaning the throttle body. The task of removing and cleaning the TB was extremley straight forward. Once i had cleaned the TB it automatically adjusted itself into it's correct position / calibration after around 20 minutes of driving.

I did notice the car pulled smoother than before, it did not however completely solve the slightly eratic idle. Therefore i am going have a go at cleaning the MAF. I have searched for MAF cleaner but had no success although i have some electrical contact cleaner which is suitable for circuit boards so would this be OK to use on the MAF?

Just to give you guys an update on how i got on with cleaning the throttle body. The task of removing and cleaning the TB was extremley straight forward. Once i had cleaned the TB it automatically adjusted itself into it's correct position / calibration after around 20 minutes of driving.

I did notice the car pulled smoother than before, it did not however completely solve the slightly eratic idle. Therefore i am going have a go at cleaning the MAF. I have searched for MAF cleaner but had no success although i have some electrical contact cleaner which is suitable for circuit boards so would this be OK to use on the MAF?
If its good enough for circuit boards then it will be good enough for the maf just make sure it dries properly and doesnt leave any residue. I would get the alignment done because from my experience mine doesnt align itself and its a cable throttle so its far more important to do it on a drive by wire.

i did this last week, took it off and cleaned with carb cleaner which worked fine, didnt touch the MAF tho, but then it was idleing at around 1800rpm, it drove fine but was just the high idleing, i have since then had a garage look at it and they re-set the ecu and gave it all a check and the only other thing they thought it could of been was it sticking a bit.. but its fine now finally.