cleaning products

antonws3

Reaction score
Picking up my s3 on Saturday and I'm wanting to get some cleaning products sorted for then. Could someone please advice me on what website is good to use as I'm fairly new to buying cleaning products

Angel wax do a good range of products, car cleaning and detailing is a personal thing and it's a mind field of different products and advice, so you will get different answers from everyone.
www.detailingworld.com great place to go and read up on different areas.
Washing the car properly using the 2 bucket method and using a proper lambs wool wash mitt and then also padding dry your car are all ways to eliminate light scratches in the top coat.

Reactions: antonws3
I swear by auto gylm I have their full range three times stacked up in my garage lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: antonws3 and Mark A Greenwood
I agree with detailing world, gem of a website. I also use mostly autoglym products. My advice pick a product and go with it for a while. See what results you get.

Reactions: antonws3 and tye.goss
Thanks for the help! Looks like I need to do some research on the 2 bucket method also!

There is a detailing forum here on Audi-sport.net, lots of advice from the clean car nerds there. I just use Autoglym products, plenty good enough for any car.

Reactions: Mark A Greenwood and antonws3
I don't use the two bucket method or a lambswool mitt.
I prefer a noodle mitt as it holds more suds and lasts a hell of a lot longer than LW, especially when it comes to washing them.
Depending on what you need to do to the car will determine what you need product wise. If it has swirls or minor scratches you'll need a compound polish to remove them. Plenty to choose from, I prefer Megs Ultimate Compound. Easier to remove with a DA. You'll probably need to Clay the car. Use a G3 Clay Mitt, faster and easier to use, just dip in very soapy water and run across your paintwork. It'll sound rough but it's meant to.
Once clayed then polished you'll need to seal the paint. Again you're spoilt for choice. CarPro Cquartz Uk is excellent topped with CarPro Reload. Takes the hassle out of washing as the cquartz will put a Silica coating on the paint resulting in very little marks being applied to your car via washing.
Tyre dressing, my three favourites are Megs Tyre Endurance Gel, CarPlan Tyre Silk or Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber Care (apply with a paint brush). Don't by AG Tyre Dressing, its mince!
As said there's a full section of advice over on the Detailing Section. It's a very personal game and will cost you an arm and a leg but it's worth it. Good luck.

Get a professional to wax it properly and seal it and look after it from there, couldn't believe my eyes when I saw mine after the guy I use worked his magic . A decent snow foam is good for lifting the dead bugs etc off befor the two bucket method

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't use the two bucket method or a lambswool mitt.
I prefer a noodle mitt as it holds more suds and lasts a hell of a lot longer than LW, especially when it comes to washing them.
Depending on what you need to do to the car will determine what you need product wise. If it has swirls or minor scratches you'll need a compound polish to remove them. Plenty to choose from, I prefer Megs Ultimate Compound. Easier to remove with a DA. You'll probably need to Clay the car. Use a G3 Clay Mitt, faster and easier to use, just dip in very soapy water and run across your paintwork. It'll sound rough but it's meant to.
Once clayed then polished you'll need to seal the paint. Again you're spoilt for choice. CarPro Cquartz Uk is excellent topped with CarPro Reload. Takes the hassle out of washing as the cquartz will put a Silica coating on the paint resulting in very little marks being applied to your car via washing.
Tyre dressing, my three favourites are Megs Tyre Endurance Gel, CarPlan Tyre Silk or Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber Care (apply with a paint brush). Don't by AG Tyre Dressing, its mince!
As said there's a full section of advice over on the Detailing Section. It's a very personal game and will cost you an arm and a leg but it's worth it. Good luck.

good advice, just want to build on that by saying, that you should thoroughly clean your tyres before applying tyre gel. A thorough scrub with a stiff brush and some warm APC solution will help remove quite a bit of dirt.

ScottyG, I have to say your avatars always seem to distract me, in a good way of course. LOL

Reactions: Scottyg
The "new" car treatment:

remove orange peel > compound 1 > compound 2 > polish 1 > polish 2 > wax 1 > wax 2 > wax 3 > seal 1 > seal 2 > die happy

A noodle mitt might hold more suds but will hold more grit aswell.
We are talking tiny amounts here and maybe even not worth it but your best to try and reduce this to the best, same with drying you should pat dry at the end and not wipe again to try stop tiny scratches.

Just depends to what extremes you want to go. Dark colours show up the scratches a little more and lighter the least.

good advice, just want to build on that by saying, that you should thoroughly clean your tyres before applying tyre gel. A thorough scrub with a stiff brush and some warm APC solution will help remove quite a bit of dirt.

ScottyG, I have to say your avatars always seem to distract me, in a good way of course. LOL

Glad they brighten up your day.
IMG 0962

And yes, definitely scrub your tyres before applying Tyre Dressing/gel!!

A noodle mitt might hold more suds but will hold more grit aswell.
We are talking tiny amounts here and maybe even not worth it but your best to try and reduce this to the best, same with drying you should pat dry at the end and not wipe again to try stop tiny scratches.

Just depends to what extremes you want to go. Dark colours show up the scratches a little more and lighter the least.

Any product you use to hold water/suds to wash a car can collect contaminants that could mark your car, even lambswool mitts. That's why I use a Silica based sealant on the car. Not because I don't trust the way I wash a car but simply because you can never know 100% that you haven't collected something on the car or in your bucket(s) you use.
As has been said, Detailing is a very personal thing and what products one person uses isn't for another. For example, a large number of people like AG SRP. I don't as it doesn't remove any swirls or marring it simply fills or hides them, a little. There are much better products out there but again that's subjective.
I love CarPro Cquartz and CarPro Reload (thanks @scotty76). Brilliant products and inexpensive for Detailing products.

In a nutshell you use the products and methods you are comfortable with and get you the results you're looking for.

Reactions: scotty76
The new grit guards by chemical guys are quality when I 2 bucket method my vehicles. Well worth the investment

Bilt hamber clay is good but a. Better option would be a clay mitt, not quite as abrasive, and even after claying need to polish especially with rougher clay bars.

What colour is it as it depends on how aggressive you get your clay bar too