1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cleaning my chrome tailpipes

Gilly Dec 2, 2009

1. Gilly

Gilly Member

guys, my once shiny chrome tailpipes on the A4 Cab are now as black as *********....

...Has any one got any tips on how to get them looking as good as new with minimal elbow grease ?

2. a3_dan

a3_dan Member

I recently polished mine up with some autosol metal polish and a little bit of elbow grease. Comes up a treat!

Edit: Sorry forgot to add, i also used a very light abrasive dremel extension.

Dan

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  3. Rough

Rough Member

you could use autosol then apply a hi temp laquer to the tail pipe.

4. WX51TXR

WX51TXR Polished Bliss

Clean them and polish them using a good quality metal polish, and then treat them with Blackfire All Metal Sealant. This is a high temperature resistant polymer sealant that will prevent soot from bonding for 3-4 months at a time, meaning it can be washed off with just a wash mitt during the wash normal process. Tried and tested, even on high performance jap cars that kick out mental heat - it works! It also makes a great wheel sealant too. Details on this link...

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/blackfire-all-metal-sealant-cat20.html

:icon_thumright:

5. axelfols

axelfols Member

is extra fine wire wool ok?

6. pjmspeedy

pjmspeedy Dude, what's mine say ?

I use Autosol on mine just with a cotton cloth.

In fact the last time I did them was around 6 months ago and I just wipe them with my "wheel" sponge everytime I wash the car and they are as good as new.

7. A3Tom

A3Tom Smell my finger.

I dont go long enough between washes these days to need it but I have done in the past and its worked a treat.

Just give them a polish after for extra shine.

T

8. Welly

Welly VX220 SC Driver :)

Two words - Brillo. Pad. :)

9. Gilly

Gilly Member

cheers guys, i have a week off this week so will have a bash at shining them up, will get some before and after pics for added effect !

10. sammi

sammi Active Member

i always use autoglym metal polish in the toothpaste tube not the tub If its minging a couple of polishs and it should be gleaming :)

11. putang

putang Member

try the brilliant polish range, then a metal sealer

12. S3 Jock

S3 Jock Member

SILVO is excellent, have used it for years to great success. (similar product to brasso)