1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cleaning MAF...?

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by imported_ZeroK66, Jul 12, 2005.

1. imported_ZeroK66

imported_ZeroK66 Guest

[Jul 12, 2005]
    Hello all,

My 2.8q 30v has nearly 95k on the clock and feels a lil hesitant at times and as it is fitted with a K&N filter - I wonder if it would be worth cleaning the MAF.

How do I do this without breaking it?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 29, 2014]

3. imported_VaulterTim

imported_VaulterTim Guest

[Jul 12, 2005]
    Isopropanol spray is the best... you can get it from places like Tandy, RS, that sort of thing. Unsure of cost.

Do a search on here for more info, it's been covered quite a bit.

T
  4. mwarrey

mwarrey Member

[Jul 13, 2005]
    Lots of threads on Audiworld on this, do a search and you will find a couple of in depth articles, none from memory were very successful.

Did see another thing recently on this pointing to a bad contact between the MAF and connecting plug. Apparently a dirty contact at this point can give similar problems, makessense really. Advise is to give this a clean with electric contact cleaner. Let us know how you get on.
  5. imported_ZeroK66

imported_ZeroK66 Guest

[Sep 13, 2005]
    Right... so I have done it...

Took the first plastic cover off the air cleaner area and you can see the lug plugged into the MAF.

I unplugged this, and went to un-screw the MAF. Bugger... the screws used require a special tool. I got hold of a set of pliers - grabbed the head of the screw and loosened it this way - came off easy enough.

I left the sensor part of the MAF submerged in 98% alcohol for about 20 mins and then a few mins out to dry.

Popped it back in, plugged it in, turned the key and hey presto... it started. Been driving it for a few days and it seems smoother. I used to have a flat spot around 3500-4500RPM which now seems to be cleared. See how the economy goes.

Cheers,
  6. bredhurststeve

bredhurststeve Member

[Sep 13, 2005]
    has anyone a picture of a maf on a w reg 2000 1.8t as am unsure quite where mine is, i think it might be inside the airbox
  7. imported_ZeroK66

imported_ZeroK66 Guest

[Sep 14, 2005]
    It should be on the pipe between the airbox and the inlet manifold... probably the only thing that has wires going to it on that pipe.
  8. imported_VaulterTim

imported_VaulterTim Guest

[Sep 14, 2005]
    It's IN the airbox... take off the top and you will see it mounted in there. Inside a plastic cylindrical housing.