Cleaning MAF sensor

nick4501

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I know there are probably a few posts about cleaning MAFs, but before I go ahead and potentially destroy mine, I thought I'd ask how people have gone about cleaning theirs.

I have bought some "electrical contact cleaner" from GSF (£4 per can), but when the guy at GSF asked what I needed it for, he seemed concerned that I was going to use it on my MAF. Am I likely to destroy it using this cleaning fluid?

How should I actually go about cleaning it?...Fill up the cap of the cleaning can with the fluid then just submerged my MAF in it for a while?!

Has anyone tried doing this and found that they have just made things worse?

Nope, have fixed a few MAFs doing this to be fair.

Extract the sensor from the tube (carefully). Hold by the top. Then spray the element wit the cleaner from the front (where the opening at the bottom is). Don't submerge it in the liquid.

You will be able to see when it's clean as the metal strip inside will look shiny.

Reassemble. Refit.

if it doesn't work for whatever reason, tps do a trade in with a refurbished bosch unit for £75.00. its the way i went :)

Wynns Carb and Intake cleaner is one of the best cleaners... Always out of ****** stock at Halfrauds whenever i need some...!!

I use Maplins contact cleaner. I might give mine a go this evening and see if my MAF gets any better! It's on 200 g/s so it's not completely dead, maybe this will solve it.

Welly - How long did you leave it to dry? Also, how long did your MAF last for after the clean then? Is it just a temp fix?

I use Maplins contact cleaner. I might give mine a go this evening and see if my MAF gets any better! It's on 200 g/s so it's not completely dead, maybe this will solve it.

Welly - How long did you leave it to dry? Also, how long did your MAF last for after the clean then? Is it just a temp fix?

It wasn't on my car I've done it, but on my mate's S3. Dodgy MAF problem fixed by cleaning, is still working now with no problems.

The cleaner doesn't take long to dry - a few mins should be plenty.

Just tried to do this now, but ran into a problem when I saw the screw head that goes into the MAF sesnor housing. How am I supposed to remove the sensor from the housing?!...It's a strange torx-like fitting but with only 5 points. I don't want to have to buy a special tool just for this one job...

Just tried to do this now, but ran into a problem when I saw the screw head that goes into the MAF sesnor housing. How am I supposed to remove the sensor from the housing?!...It's a strange torx-like fitting but with only 5 points. I don't want to have to buy a special tool just for this one job...

Use a small flat head and stick it in the screw between the star points and that metal but in the middle of the screw. It will turn and work because the small flatty has nowhere else to go but turn! This is how i got mine out the other day.

Cleaned my MAF and i went from 200 g/s to 209 g/s! MAF is still reading low as it's slightly dead but hey it worked and a bit more power is back!

What's the reason for cleaning the MAF? And should they be left well alone until a problem arises?

MAF is a hot wire type sensor... contaminates such as oil (from overly oiled performance filters etc) can get on the element which can affect its operation and readings... cleaning it can 'fix' this but not always...

A MAF sensor is a service item... if you have any reason to think the MAF is not performing as it should then you are better off just replacing it... only use a genuine Bosch sensor though and not the cheap tat from eBay

<tuffty/>

Reactions: silestanix and JonnyDerv