Cleaning engine bay?

J7-AUDIA3

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've got an A3 2.0 TDI Sport and it looks outstanding when clean.

I'd like to go a little further (as you pros do) and clean the engine bay. Is it safe to use a home pressure washer to clean it? Also any products that clean the grim off proper?

Cheers

J

some garages do this when valeting your car,to be honest im not keen on it,i use a cleanin agent caled G101 made by autosmart,it gets any grime off or dirt

ye thats what i mean,i personally wouldnt use one on my car,but people do use them,i prefer just to wipe it all with G101 and clean it that way,obviosuly this depends on how dirty your engine bay is?,mine is clean because i clean it everytime i wash my car

Once the cleaner/degreaser has been sprayed and left to dwell for about 5 mins, I've found it useful to agitate the chemical with a 2 inch (1 inch for smaller nooks etc) soft bristle paint brush. It's generally not as aggressive to the paint and rubbers as rubbing hard with rags. After agitating, you're ready to rinse. I don't imagine you'll need a PW for an 8P engine bay unless you've had the bonnet open while it's been raining mud!!! A normal hose spray should be fine.

Before you put any liquids near your bay (degreaser or water) make sure you put silver kitchen foil round all electrical connectors and that it has been 'compacted in'. Also, the air intake and MAF should be blocked off from liquid intake.

Once rinsed, dry the bits and finish by applying a good dressing like 303 Aerospace Protectant (this does all parts).

As AudiLad says, G101 is a good cleanser for this purpose, but you may not get a hold of it easily as the area sellers deliver to companies only, so they've told me. Polished Bliss on here sell Meguiar's Super Degreaser which is good for the engine bay. I've still got about 3/4 of a bottle of AG Degreaser which I've found to be up to the job also.

I take my hat of to AudiLad for getting into the bay every time he washes his car:respekt:

Have fun. :icon_thumright:

PS There's a Polished Bliss guide on bay detailing

I normally use tetroclean engine degreaser.

Slightly warm engine. then use foil (as stated above)

brush tetroclean all over the engine. Wait for about 5 mins.

Start engine. and pressure wash. Don't stay too long in one place.

When satisfied that it's clean, leave engine to run for a further 10-15min to make sure water dries out.

Spray vynil and rubber care and wipe off excess.

Have done it several times and no issues until now:

Some pics:

from this:

to this:

took only 20 mins :)

another car: