1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cleaned TB but VAGCOM wont let me realign it! Is it safe to start???

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Westy, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Westy

Westy Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Just had the TB and the AIT sensor off to clean them as i've been experiencing poor idleing when the car is cold. Got it all back together and tried to do a TB realignment but VCDS just says "Error" in the far right box! Now I know this was working because I realigned it last week without an issue. I know I've plugged the sensor back in properly because if I disconnect it all my values in VCDS drop to "0".

Has anyone got any ideas, do you think its safe to try and start the car?
  2. leshkin

leshkin Speeding in reverse gear

Are you sure that all conditions for a throttle body alignment are met as per ross-tech site?:

• No DTC's in the Engine Controller
    • Battery voltage at least 11.5 V
    • Throttle must be at idling position (keep your foot off the gas pedal)
    • Throttle body part must not be dirty (carbonized).
    • Coolant temperature must be between 5 and 95C
  3. Westy

Oh **** I did read that but didn't think much of the bottom one! There are no DTCs except the one about the TB, voltage is fine, No foot on the gas, TB is sparkling clean, outside temp is 4 degrees, so coolant temp will be similar as I haven't started the car today!

So do I have to wait till the temp rises or just start up the car to warm it up then do a TB alignment?
  4. R-Tech-Nick

R-Tech-Nick Member

If you software is working ok and its trying to adapt the TB then your issue is hardware realted, A method I use to get the TB to adapt after "ERROR" is cycle the ignition and at the same time as the TB stepper motor starts to move and cycle its rediness tap the housing of the TB with a hammer, try this a few times and then try again with VCDS.

Nick
  5. Westy

Cheers Nick, I have tried giving it a few taps already as it starts up but still cant clear the error.
  6. ALPINE

ALPINE Yes its diesel, now cry u lost

i dont have VAG-COM but have had my TB off etc. All i do it reset the ECU and keep the ignition on for a couple mins and let it do its thing. you will hear the TB ticking/wining. once its done turn igniton off and then start car. Has always worked for me in both the A3 and the A4! mine idols and runs fine . :)
  7. Westy

Sod it, I'm going to fire it up in a minute and see how it idles.
  8. ALPINE

promise you westle, disconnect the live off the battery for 5 mins. reconnect, do the ignition thing i said up there ^^ and it will be sweet! :)
  9. Westy

Ok mate battery is disconnected. I'll try it in 15 mins or so.
  10. ALPINE

the ECU will just learn that the gunk is no longer in the TB and will set it to the appropriatly allign accordingly. A fellow ANS member showed me this trick years ago works a treat. you will loose you Auto up windows for a bit but the ECU will remember and they will automaticly come back.

just dont forget to leave the ignition on before you start it. you will hear when its time to start. hope this helps geeza.
  11. Westy

Yeah Ive disconnected the battery before and lost the windows for a bit. I'll let you know how it goes on startup, hopefully now its clean it'll idle properly when cold.
  12. ALPINE

best thing i ever done. had my inlet off a filled it full of brake cleaner. the amount of sh*t that came out was mad. i do this on every car i get now makes a massive difference to the throttle response, idleing etc. was going to do my air box today but its decided to hack it down with hail!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

heres my TB after i finished!
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  13. Westy

Ok I started up the car and it idled like ****. I dont think I left the battery disconnected for long enough because the dis hadn't reset the MPG etc. Anyway I took it for a spin to get some fuel. On the way back from the petrol station the car stopped boosting properly! The car felt like a normal 1.8 and I couldn't hear the turbo spin up any more!

I have now done a TB alignment and I had the following errors appear before doing it:

17972 - Throttle Actuator (J338): Under-Voltage during Basic Setting
    P1564 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
    17963 - Charge Pressure: Maximum Limit Exceeded
    P1555 - 35-00 - -

The first error came up because the TBA was unsuccessful, and the 2nd error relates to the linp mode I hit!!!

Hopefully now the TB is ok all the other issues will go, I;ll see what it does tomorrow.
  14. ALPINE

unlucky mate. :( i can assure you that method has worked for me the million times i have done it. hope you get it sorted chap!