1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clean or don't clean your part exchange car on handover...?

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by Joetidman, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Joetidman

Joetidman Well-Known Member

[Mar 15, 2014]
    Strange question I know, but what do people think? My Scirocco that I'll be part-exchanging has been well looked after but it's not perfect. So what's the best strategy, give it one last super clean and risk the slight scratches and stone chips showing, but show off your lovely looking car, or hand it over filthy so they can't see and slight issues, but have the car look a bit rough?

Does it even matter at all?
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. CraigI

CraigI Well-Known Member

[Mar 15, 2014]
    I am quite proud of my cars, so will always give them a very good clean before trading in.

That said, the last few cars I/we have traded in have been against new cars and the new car salesman hasn't even looked at the cars being dropped off.
    They immediately pass it over to their used department so it is very quickly not their problem.
    I'd say it doesn't matter one bit.
  4. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Mar 15, 2014]
    I always like to hand my car over clean and tidy but my dealer always said I should not have bothered as they will always do a thorough clean before it goes on sale. To me it's just personal pride not to hand it over in a not-clean state.
    warren_S5, thedooker and Daveotto like this.
  5. Joetidman

Joetidman Well-Known Member

[Mar 15, 2014]
    Good points. My instinct is to give it a good clean, as I do look after it, and enjoy keeping it clean, so I guess if it doesn't really matter either way I'll just do that
  6. Daveotto

Daveotto Well-Known Member

[Mar 15, 2014]

Spent a good 2-3 hours giving my old A3 a complete clean,polish and wax inside and out before I px'd it
  7. Pulp84

Pulp84 Well-Known Member

[Mar 15, 2014]
    Yep I hand mine over clean and detailed to a point.

Like to take some final pictures of it so like it looking good.
  8. Jinxy-S3

Jinxy-S3 Member

[Mar 15, 2014]
    I'd fall Inbetween mate clean it but don't go daft
    Joetidman likes this.
  9. warren_S5

warren_S5 Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Mar 15, 2014]
    You'll give it a better clean than the dealer valet will, all they'll do is swirl mark the car! If your p-ex is higher miler it may not end up on the forecourt at all, but at least if dealer thinks you look after the car they ask less questions.
  10. MA3RC

MA3RC Active Member

[Mar 15, 2014]
    My dealer said my part ex was the cleanest expanse of a used car he's ever seen, I'd always looked after it and kept it immaculate so I couldn't see it go dirty.
  11. Flibble

Flibble Member

[Mar 15, 2014]
    Mine was filthy when I went to order my new car, dealer still gave roughly the expected price. It's fairly old though so it'll be straight down the auctions. Might make more difference with something newer.
  12. jongeddes

jongeddes Member

[Mar 15, 2014]
    Just spent the afternoon cleaning mine, suppose its personal pride that I hand it over in the condition I would like to get it in.
  13. PilotAudi

PilotAudi New Member

[Mar 15, 2014]
    Our Px cars are always fine but I can't be arsed giving it a super clean as they will be doing it again anyway!
  14. S3quatt

S3quatt Flat Oot like a ducks Foot

[Mar 15, 2014]
    My last trade in was spotless before I left the house & had pretty much a glass finish.

Unfortunately it was manky after a 400 mile drive south!

Funnily enough after trading in, it sold within 10 days so I'm convinced it was due to the finish on it & it sold its self!

;-)
  15. the_lecht_rocks

the_lecht_rocks Well-Known Member

[Mar 16, 2014]
    Never ever PX !

Clean it , photo it and stick it on pistonheads or gumtree and it will always fetch more than a paltry PX value.

I can't understand anybody giving their pride and joys to dealers for peanuts on PX.
    JudderMan, PilotAudi and WOLF like this.
  16. WOLF

WOLF I am WOLF.......

[Mar 16, 2014]
    Surely wether its spotless or just clean your still only going to get the same trade in value??
  17. warren_S5

warren_S5 Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Mar 16, 2014]
    There was a point in my life when I got sick of having to invite fantasists, dreamers and tyre kickers round to my house for a joy ride, then still be offered near dealer part ex prices. For the sake of a few quid at least I only have to be insulted once by the dealer rather than fannied about by a raft of people who profess to be serious then struggle to get their wallets out. I wouldn't mind so much but my cars are always one owner minters being sold for new car, it's not even like Im palming them off because they're old or the bills got big, most still have some manufacturer warranty left on them. My times more precious these days.
  18. PilotAudi

PilotAudi New Member

[Mar 16, 2014]
    I don't Px as such, dealer advertises and sells for an agreed fee. Saves a few grand usually!
  19. Snake Pliskin

Snake Pliskin Well-Known Member

[Mar 16, 2014]
    Echo many if the comments above.

I used to clean my px cars but last time I though why go to all that effort !
    Dealer did not look at it on trade in as know them and they know I look after my cars having dealt with them for 6 years and 3 cars.

For the Dealers it's all about relationship but more importantly car turn over and another sale chalked up !
    PilotAudi likes this.
  20. madrussa

madrussa Member

[Mar 16, 2014]
    I got my car evaluated whilst it was pretty dirty being Jan and all the floods etc. Looks impeccable now and I keep having little thoughts of would I have got more if it was clean... I guess it's all about the figures as most other places have quoted less. I'm not going to go all out personally. It'll just be a standard wash as the normal quarterly protection keeps it looking great underneath the filth :D

I also think depending on the dealership, their cleaners might end up swirling the paintwork and cover it up with tons of wax anyway. Once its gone its going to be gone and its no longer your responsibility... why worry so much?
  21. Oyster

Oyster Member

[Mar 17, 2014]
    Dealers offered £12.300 on my previous 2011 A1 with only 6543 on the clock, I sold it privately for £14.500 with 2 years warranty still left,and one free service