clay

steve184

Reaction score
OMG - how did this get past me - bought a clay kit today to polish my car - can't beleive how easy and effective it is at getting the paint smooth again - normally id spend hours rubbing the paint with polish to get it smooth - this takes 5 mins per panel! well chuffed!

im actually looking into claying my car myself as the paint work is a bit on the rough side, was actually going to pay someone to do it but have herd its a very simple job.... what kit did you use?

yes its an absolute doddle - id heard of clay before, but thinking of clay in the normal sense of the word, i was thinking of a hard stone like substance and always thought - how can that clean paint?!!, but its absolutely magic, and you can see the muck on the clay afterwards to confirm its working - i just popped down to halfords and got the meguiars clay kit - you get two pieces of clay and some detail spray to lube and also a cloth, and some wax sample - £23 worth every penny, best car care product ive bought in a long time that actually does exactly what it says it does, don't procrastinate about claying any longer - just do it you won't be dissapointed.

Can only agree with what has already been said, I did mine in March and was amazed. Providing you wash and protect regularly it stays smooth aswell.

Mark

Clay is great at removing contamination from the paint and is so easy too almost foolproof in fact. Leaving our old Golf at the train station the paintwork was well contaminated (almost like sandpaper) but the clay brought it up a treat.

As above..

Been claying since my previous car with great results.

You only need to do it once every couple of months, usually before adding a long term wax.

That "should" protect the paint for up to six months.

I do all the above but then use a quick wax maybe every 3-4 weeks to top up any small hairline scratches.

Ive got to say, that Claying helps keep a paintjob in top nick..

Claying is great on Black cars too...

I used to wonder "Why when i polish a car does it end up looking worse?" Covered in swirls. Its because i was just rubbing the contaminants around.. Thats what turned me on to claying, because once i did that, it got the paint like glass ready for polish/wax and no more swirls :)

You can pick up some meguiar's claying kit from your local halfords, it comes with the clay bars, lubricant and cloth which is pretty much everything you need for this step. Check out cleanyourcar.co.uk if you want a wider choice.

well thats mine all done - every inch of the car is like glass again and looks glorious - paint is probably in better condition than it was when it was supplied to me new 17 months ago. took me all day today and a few ours yesterday, and no i have some sunburn but it was worth it and i actually enjoyed it mostly - something I dont normally enjoy when rubbing and polishing for ever and a day - this clay definately makes the job 75% less effort i reckon.

Claying is evil. It's a slippery slope into the world of "detailing"! Before you know it, you're buying polishes, waxes, sealants and spending £££££'s on it......... :jester:

In all seriousness, it's amazing stuff. The paintwork is so smooth afterwards and it rejuvenates the paintwork. Simple to apply too. A "must-buy" in my opinion.

nope - i'm a strong willed person. I'm very happy with my clay, and my 3 part polishing system, all by mequiars, along with my scratch-X for scratches and marks and my 3000 grit wet and dry paper for stubborn bird droppings, deeps scratches etc - as far as im concerned this is my 'kit' and meet all my needs and provide me with better than accepatable results (and im quite a fussy person, with high attention to detail) so wont be falling down any further slippery slope - i'm done, and happy. This game seems to be overly complex to me, and im happy with the clean, polish, wax simplicity without all the other complex intermediate products!